Tilt nTrim problem

mahoganybd

Cadet
Electrical problem -Tilt/Trim and more....
Evinrude 85hp 1977, 4cyl -- I was letting my motor up with the power tilt/trim and stopped for a moment to look at the motor and when I tried letting it down the swith would not work in any direction. Notice that some of the wires going to the solenoid were worned, cracked and also looked like part of the electrical connector was bad. Where can I get a wiring diagram for this engine(battery,trim/tilt switch, solenoid sec.), also how can I check the solenoid to see if its working and trim swith button, or is there a way to check the trim/tile mechanisim by bybassing the solenoid?

Also, if this is an electrical problem, could it also contribute to the engine overheating, or stalling when put into gear or throttle increased? Carbs were repaired but was told that they were the wrong ones for this model.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tilt nTrim problem

That trim unit has a separate trim control box which mounts under the rear splashwell. Inside that box is a small 20 amp glass fuse. You may have blown that fuse. The solenoid controls the up movement only. The down movement is wired direct through the switch in the control box handle (or on the dash.) The factory glued a printed copy of the wiring diagram for the trim box inside the cover of that box. If it is missing from the inside cover on your unit, the only other place to find one is inside the back of the factory service manual. You can buy an original factory manual on the web at: outboardbooks.com

mahoganybd

Cadet
Re: Tilt nTrim problem

Ok, will take a look for that box, but haven't really notice one.
Will get back to you.

Thanks