Help help Drive shaft splines to short

trogdog

Cadet
Ok today I got my new drive shaft to rebuild my lower unit but the splines are shorter by about a 1/2" is this going to make a problem for me they go in my motor but I don't know if they are going to go all the way for the lower to make it all the way to bolt it up help

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: Help help Drive shaft splines to short

Two things to look at;

Is the overall length of the two shafts the same?

Can you see any 'witness marks' on the old shaft the indicated spline contact, the length of the spline that was actually in touch?

Many of the older shafts had splines cut way too long, and used a rubber 'collar' to cover much of that unused spline in attempt to keep water and exhaust carbon from migrating up the spline, causing eventual corrosion of the splines.

trogdog

Cadet

Well I put the lower all back to getter to day so we will see you really could not tell abou the marks cuase it has been off back in the fall for a new water pump an I clean it up and put some gease on it I did not get it installed but I guess we will see if you will bolt up in the AM raining like crazy here now so it will have to wait lol

trogdog

Cadet

Well could not wait till the am I had on older motor in the garage that I took a lower unit out of for this motor a while back it fit on that one so hopefully it will fit on the one it goes to lol