New 3.0 Mercruiser won't develop power/revs

Replaced my 3.0 when I put a rod through the side Labor Day weekend last year (glad it wasn't Memorial Day) bought a 3.0L GM marine engine from Michigan Motorz. Did the break in period of 10 hours, have run engine another 10+ hours.

Will not develop rpms above 3700-3800, will not get out of the hole unless I put a couple people in the bow.

Prop is a 3 blade 14"dia 19P, well within the specs for this motor to get to 4500 rpm. Using the same boat, same outdrive, same carb, same fuel pump, etc from the old engine. Compression is 160-160-175-175 front to back. Have disassembled both fuel filters (clean). I put in a clear in-line filter last year because I've had bad luck with the standard filter in the pump (ceramic one clogged, cardboard replacement buckled). New cap and rotor came with engine, plugs and wires are new. Replaced plugs, no change. Timing is in spec. I can manually rev up the engine to 3800 rpm if I disengage the throttle linkage and work it by hand (yes someone else is behind the wheel ;)).

Could I be out of alignment bad enough with the outdrive? I spoke with someone at a marine shop who said that as long as I had no trouble getting the outdrive into the spline it should be fine.

Other symptoms: stumbling at idle and hard starting (needs some throttle to catch and even then a lot of cranking to get it done). For this reason I took the carb apart and cleaned all the components. Noticed the rear venturi was dripping much faster than the other and swapped venturis but that didn't change anything.

I'm at my wits end. I can easily get 4000+ on muffs no hesitation. Seems like a fuel issue but why would everything change so radically?

Your advice is greatly appreciated. I'm no master mechanic but I don't mind getting my hands dirty so I'll do whatever I get told to do...lol

NHGuy

Captain
Re: New 3.0 Mercruiser won't develop power/revs

What's your serial number? Do you have the ignition that requires you to place it in base timing mode to set distributor?
ps. don't rev it way up on the muffs, just use lower rpms til the rig is under a load.

I'll look up the S/N in the morning, mosquitoes are so bad this year the other day I saw one with two ticks on it...:eek:

If you mean do I have a plug in port for the timing shunt then yes. Otherwise I don't think I understand the question? Sounds like you are thinking electrical is the issue?

NHGuy

Captain

I'm only trying to make sure you did the shunt if it's called for. If you were not aware of it you could get some bad behavior from the timing setup. Sounds like it was a wrong idea on my part.

I'm only trying to make sure you did the shunt if it's called for. If you were not aware of it you could get some bad behavior from the timing setup. Sounds like it was a wrong idea on my part.

Not at all, I appreciate the thought. If I hadn't covered that, it would have been a straightforward solution...thanks!