1964 Starcraft Jupiter - 2012 winter project

Rustedbrit

Seaman
Hey all,

New to the starcraft cult. Picked up a '64 Starcraft Jupiter, non-leaker w/ '91 30hp Evinrude for $800. Solid Transom but floor squishy in spots. I'll probably start to replace both when the leaves fall. The interior shined up nicely, but i'll have to go through and replace panels vinyl etc...

2012-07-06_14-08-05_7472.JPG

The main issue that had to be sorted prior to use was the dash had literally cracked into 3 peices :eek:

I'm pretty sure the cause was the updated teleflex 20 degree helm bracket left little-to-no material in that part of the dash board, and with it being structural...well you know. I had all the pieces to trace and cut a replacement out of hardwood ply. It was a huge pain to get in, and from what i've read here, that's normal. Its a tempo-permanent fix.. We will see how things go.

My main safety concern at the moment is the windshield. Like others of that vintage you can hardly see through it. I've been reading here about retrofitting a later walk through windshield and also looking into replacements from UPC and Retroboats... Found this one on CL - it s 4 panel like the ones found on holidays of the same era... what do you think?

5N95L85Jf3K43Id3Hbc74bebcf595e2fa140d.jpg

Unfortunately I'm 8 hrs away from this thing, can anyone provide the width of the bubble windshield? I read 61" but couldn't confirm. Thanks in advance. Welcome any advice from the gurus.

Dirt_Farmer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1964 Starcraft Jupiter - 2012 winter project

I haven't done it, but several here have polished their bubble windshields with great results. Hopefully someone with experience will be along shortly. Nice looking boat.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the Tin Paradise, Rusted. Not a bad looking Jupiter. That dash was hung from the SC ceiling and the Jup was built around it. A tough job to get it out and back in without some cussin' & trimmin'.

Don't spend money on a windshield until you try this. http://www.fiberglassics.com/research/66-windshield-101-shining-up-that-old-windshield.html

Believe me. it works. I used Turtle Wax HD polishing compond and TW regular polishing compound and did a good, but not great job and it got rid of the scratches. Then got some Meguires PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish. That did the trick and removed what hazing was left. I can read a newspaper though it now. BTW - all done by hand, no power polishers or buffers. All for about $20 in TW & Meguires.

I say use the Jup for the summer and make your list of things to do. Oh, and have fun. :D

Rustedbrit

Seaman

Thanks for the advice! I will try the polishing as a temp measure, but the windshield is cracked at the deck mounts so replacement is inevitable. Maybe I can bend some lexan into shape....

Will a 60 inch windshield fit?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I didn't know the WS was cracked. I don't know what size fits the Jup. Measure from center to center on the gunnel and that should give you a starting point. Or just measure the existing WS.