Plugs seeping oil

Seagrub

Cadet
took the boat out , after doing linc and sinc procedure all perfect horizontal at wot. including new fuel pump etc... lines bulb nice fuel
still cant get over 3k rpm wot...no rough idle or missing, sounds smooth but I just noticed dark oil unusually seeping
from all three plug holes. boat sat for years before taking it out 3 times in the last month, RPM trouble and now Oily plug seepage? Thanks for any thoughts. I might put on new rectifier too. :eek:

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: Plugs seeping oil

Please add Year, Make, Model, Pics if possible showing description of leaks.

Chip Chester

Petty Officer 2nd Class

+1 on more info, but that's not gonna stop me.
If you pull and check the plugs frequently, have you ever replaced the washers? Or even flipped them over (in a pinch?)
If oil can seep out, you're not getting the compression you think you are in the chamber. This would not show up on a compression check, since you remove the plugs when doing that.

New plugs may not help, but they won't hurt, either. Plus they come with new washers!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Spark plugs? If leaking sparkplugs, then:

1. Plugs are not tight enough letting gaskets leak.

2. Gaskets are bad allowing seepage.

3. Seating surface of head is damaged not allowing proper seal.

4. Plug holes were stripped and replaced with Heli-coils or similar repair.

5 Plug holes are stripped and not repaired.

Seagrub

Cadet

Sorry for the Extremely Late thank you to all responders, I just now figured out how to find my old post...
Thank you again it was just a tightness issue...

Jiggz

Captain

Great! You can still do that engine a favor by de-carboning it. Obviously with dark oil seeping it tells me those cylinders are full of carbon!