Need some direction with current project

Saint18z

Cadet
Hi Guys,
I am currently working on a Starcraft Jupiter V, and need a little advise on how to proceed. I am some what new to the boating world, and most of my previous experience has been with OBs. The problem that I have is that I am lucky enough to own a boat with the Mercruiser 80HP Renault motor in it :-(

IMG_4256.jpg

IMG_4259.jpg

The boat was bought new by the PO, and saw maybe a years worth of usage back in 1971, then was moved into the garage where it stayed until my family bought the house about 10 years ago. I have never had the boat running, or put it in the water, but when I first started working on it, it would turnover. Unfortunately it sat for a winter without the spark plugs in it, and as a result it will no longer turn over.

Now I am trying to look at my options. Ive got a Mercruiser 120HP 3.0 lined up from a guy locally....actually its an entire boat. The problem with this boat is that the PO must have crashed into some rocks or something because the outdrive has the mounting points for the trim cylinders sheared clean off. Looking at it, it appears that the entire housing is cast aluminum, so I doubt there is any repairing that.

My other option is to try and get the old Renault running....From what ive read (and there isnt much to read about these motors) it seems as though most parts are no longer available. I have had the cylinders soaking with marvel mystery oil for the last few months now, and i still cant seem to get the starter to break them free. Currently I am trying to pull the motor out so that I can attempt to turn the fly wheel over by hand.

I would really like to get the Renault running because it is in perfect condition, but it seems as though its going to be really hard to find any information on it.

So my question is, how hard would it be to repower the boat with a Mercruiser 3.0, I think it will help that I have got everything from the donor boat. Also is the outdrive repairable? I am guessing No, but does anyone have experience with welding on the cast parts? Finally mounting the motor is going to be my biggest challenge, it looks like the 3.0 is quite a bit larger than the Renault, and the mounting is completely different. For example, the aluminum block Renault is mounted off the transom and actually hangs in free air! So to put the 3.0 in I am going to need to build some sort of front motor mount, has anyone done this before?

IMG_4255.jpg

IMG_4262.jpg

Thanks,
Chris

*If I posted this in the wrong section, please let me know, and I will move it*

Saint18z

Cadet
Re: Need some direction with current project

I was thinking the same thing. Can a Mod move it for me or should I just repost?

fmalott

Chief Petty Officer

a moderator will move it give them time to read first

Saint18z

Cadet

Do you guys know of any issues with the earlier 3.0 Mercruisers? The one I am looking at is our of a 72 Mark Twain, were there any significant improvements made on it in later years? I just want to make sure that I am not replacing my obsolete motor with another obsolete motor.