need some kneeboarding advice

89sandman

Seaman
just picked up a kneeboard and have never done it before. watched a couple of youtube vids but they really didn't get into the basics too much. what i need to know is what speed to go? i have a pole tower for my boat but really don't like to use it because of all the support poles and cable, can i just use the tow ring on the back of my boat to get started? any tips for a first timer? did water ski when i was younger, about 30 years ago, but had a pretty serious motorcycle accident last summer that has left me with a bad left shoulder and don't think it could take the abuse of trying to ski. looks like the kneeboards are pretty easy to get up on. picked up a pro link kidder board cheap and thought i'd give it a try...

86 century

Ensign
Re: need some kneeboarding advice

The speed will all depend on the board. You need fast enough to plane the board but not so fast it starts to porous.

Start slow chest on the board as the board planes and becomes stable pull your knees up both at the same time(this is very important if one comes up before the other the board will start to turn on you) strap yourself in and lean back.

Some of my most painfully face plants have been on a knee board.
Good Luck and most of all have fun

dpd2483

Seaman Apprentice

i have kneeboard for 3 years now i like it. i am 50 now about 20 to 30 mph is about right he is right on geting up hold the handel down low in front of you and just have fun go to kneeboard.com forum the help on thare is the best .

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I had trouble getting up the first time until we learned. Get the boat up to 10 mph and wait till the rider gets on his/her knees and gets the strap on. once they are set with rope in hand speed up to riding speed 20-25 depending on comfort level. Also when pulling up to your knees do it as soon as the boat gets you on top of the water and don't try to wiggle up. It needs to be one fluid motion and then make whatever small adjustments to get in position. If you take to long the board will bounce you off before you can get your balance. I found the pull up balance point was with my elbows on the front edge of the pad. Any further forward caused the board to try to dip into the water and sway side to side when I pulled up. I am 6'1 and weigh 215 lbs. Our board is a hydroslide razorback and I love it :)

As far as the pole goes the ski ring works fine. I have pulled from a tower before and unless you plan on jumping there is no real difference.

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer

I found the easiest launch is from the shore or low dock. Strap yourself in and lean back as the line tightens. The boat operator needs to know how to apply slow but smooth acceleration until you're settled in.

89sandman

Seaman

thanks for the replies! we did go out today but my buddie went first and got up and going no problem but about half way around the lake he hit another boats wake and ate it pretty good. put a pretty good gash from the front of the board just above his eye so we decided to take it as an omen and stick to the tubes for the rest of the day. will give it a shot next weekend when we go out:) anyone wear some kind of helmut??? have seen a couple of vids of the more advanced riders wearing bicycle type helmuts, thinking this may be a good idea!!!

jkust

Rear Admiral

I'm in my 30's these days and haven't boarded for a number of years but was a hardcore boarder growing up before wakeboards were around. Eventually you'll get good enough where you need no wake what so ever to do a full flip with porpoising. Good luck.

capecodtodd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

HI
I have been kneeboarding since the early 90's and it is alot of fun.
To get up 86 Century has good advice. but let me add to it. To start lay on the board and keep that board nose up. Hold the rope handle with one palm up the other down. One time a buddy was out, I took off, the rope broke and the quick loss of tension caused him to hit himself on the nose with the handle so one palm up one down to start. Your elbows are on the board and once the boat gets moving and you and the board get up on plain bring both your legs in one hop til your knees hit your elbows. straighten up, you might have to wiggle forward a inch or 2 to get your knees where they should be on the board then strap in and off you go.
The fun part about kneeboarding is cutting and jumping over the wake so depending on your boat (weight) you will need to cut your pull rope down from the normal 75 feet ski length to maybe 35-40 feet. The speed depends on the person riding. I always liked about 18 mph since a slower speed gave me a better wake to jump but that depends on your boat. Go slower if the rider is new or wants to do something silly like stand up on the kneeboard. Aas long as the board is planing it is OK.
When you get up and strapped in Start your training by turning 90 degrees and holding it. Then go 180 and soon you will be spinning 360's like your'e on glass. Just keep that leading edge up out of the water and you will avoid the face plants. When you get better go outside the wake and do some spins and sharp cuts. We used to run 2 kneeboarders and we would have wars to see if one could knock the other off by cutting sharp and sending a wall of water their way. Fun times. If the water gets too ruff from another boat just get in behind yours and the waves will be lessened.
Another thing like you have already experienced kneeboarding can hurt. When I was expecting a crash or while I was in the middle of one I always put my arm up in front of my face just in case the board did come back at me.
Keep messing around and you will get better and soon you will jumping and spinning and be launching off your moving tube, kneeboarding around then coming back onto the tube or even jumping over it.
Good luck and have a BLAST.
Todd

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

I have been knee boarding since 1988 and it is fun. If you plan on trying tricks or jumping the wake get a helmet and good life vest. I broke my 8th rib this June trying to "get some air."

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When teaching new knee boarders we remove the strap or have them kneel on top of it. You don't need it to get up, you can do a lot of surface turns without it, and WIPEOUTS don't hurt because you're not tied to the board when you catch an edge or bury the nose. The strap can also complicate getting into the right position on the board (scoot forward enough so the front doesn't bounce).

Hold the handle low. Pretend it connects to your body about at your navel. Pulling from your core like this will lessen your wipeouts, surface turns easier, and landings - once you do start jumping - will be more solid.

jkust

Rear Admiral

We generally went 17mph with a sinificantly shortened rope but you can easily locate the sweet spot of your wake. In order to do many of the tricks, you will need to clear both wakes and land on the down slope of the opposite wake. Learning how to 'pop' will allow you to easily clear both wakes. We used to have the wars pulling multiples like mentioned above of course we never had any safety equipment back in the day. The simplest, most basic air 'trick' is to wrap the rope around your body and pull it hard while you are in the air and you do a simplified version of a 360 without passing the rope hand to hand.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I will vouch for that product. I put one on my older hydroslide pro 6 5 years ago. It is still going strong.

The product would be rendered unneeded in 10 minutes of boarding practice. If you can walk and wave at someone, you can do a deep water start with ease. Like training wheels for a sport where you may need them for hours at the most instead of a season as kids need training wheels. The deep water starting involved in boarding is the easy part, it's the rest that is challenging. Soon enough the boat driver won't even need to stop the boat but merely slow down a bit to pick you up which is especially handy when pulling doubles and one falls and one doesn't.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

yeah, but my daughter has been like < 60 lbs for the past several years and basically rides the knee board with the rope attached like a boogie board. It gets her off the tube and on the water.

I personally never use it, but it does allow me to get timid people on the water quicker.

Some of these kids only want to try something over and over again if it has a reset button!

jkust

Rear Admiral

yeah, but my daughter has been like < 60 lbs for the past several years and basically rides the knee board with the rope attached like a boogie board. It gets her off the tube and on the water.

I personally never use it, but it does allow me to get timid people on the water quicker.

Some of these kids only want to try something over and over again if it has a reset button!

Wait until she sits on the board, feet in the water and tells you to go wot so she can start barefooting off of it.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yup ... can't wait. She definitely has more potential to do this than her older, "I will only wakeboard" brother.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Yup ... can't wait. She definitely has more potential to do this than her older, "I will only wakeboard" brother.

Ha, were not quite there yet with the interest in tow sports/kid's ages. It keeps our fuel usage to a minimum for now.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Don't buy tubes/towables then!

jkust

Rear Admiral

Don't buy tubes/towables then!

We've got it all just no interest other than a little tubing. Multiple wake board set ups yet to be used, ski's, tubes, knee board.