Over heating -Sea water pump impeller problem?

bassman4u

Cadet
A question for Don...I have a 1986 Bayliner...Volvo Penta 225E....270 outdrive...picked it up in the water last of the season last year?.had the same problem when firing it up this week in my yard...water not circulating...temp running around 180....when I started to look...no thermostat was every in it..."160 for a boat"??...never got a chance to take the raw water pump apart...will tackle that today....this boat has never had a scrap of maintenance done to it...I'd be the first owner to make it sea worth I hope!! lol I see there are two types of sea pumps listed for my model...I see the exhaust bellows started to swell...and there was some smoking...I primed the pump with the garden hose...seemed to run with small amounts of water coming out the rear...probably have the same impeller problem....which is the right impeller kit/part number to get for this 225E? Also...looking at the exhaust bellows...I work in a bus garage....the 4" stainless exhaust clamps look like a good replacement for the bellows! lol ?..Or do you need flexibility from the manifold to the rear exhaust pipes that the rubber gives? Don?t see any flappers installed here either?thanks in advance .

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Over heating -Sea water pump impeller problem?

Impellers are the first thing you look at in any marine engine overheat. No reason to order a bunch of parts until you know what you need. Why order an impeller kit if you need the complete pump

You might want to spend a lot of time up in the stickies at the top of this forum. Sounds like you have a LOT of problems you don't even know about yet.

bassman4u

Cadet
Re: Over heating -Sea water pump impeller problem?

Never saw the Volvo stickies here....enough info to track down the problems...or get me in deeper!! lol thanks Don