91 larson w/ volvo/penta wont idle

pcrew82

Recruit
Hi new to this site first time boat owner, I have a 91 Larson 17' with a volvo/penta 230A/sp stern drive, Had the solex 44pai carb just rebuilt 2 weeks ago,because the boat had a slight hesitation at the end of the season last year. Now the boat is really difficult to start, and once I get it running it will not idol. brought the carb back to the place that rebuilt it and he went through it again and said everything looked perfect.Sooo i tried it again to no avail!!! i messed with the air fuel mixture and the idle screw and got the boat to start and run but at 2000rpm adjust the the idle down and the motor dies. Then I decided to bring it to a local marine shop to have them take a look at it. They ran a diagnostic on it (checked compression,checked fuel,etc..) they came to the conclusion that the carb needs to rebuilt. Does anyone have any ideas??? Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 91 larson w/ volvo/penta wont idle

Did you put 2 new base gaskets on each carb? One on either side of the direction plates?
Did you put those plates in correctly?

Untitled3.jpg

pcrew82

Recruit
Re: 91 larson w/ volvo/penta wont idle

yeah I put the two new gaskets in with the plate inbetween. I put the plate in with front and the arrow facing the bow of the boat. would that be considered the front of the engine???Thanks for your input