flooding issues

css19

Recruit
I have a 1989 5.0 mercruiser that keeps flooding out on me. today i realized there is a plastic line coming off the fuel pump going into the top of the carb that has gas leaking into the top of my carb. this isnt the line that feeds the carb looks like a vacume line. Can anyone tell me what causes this is it a bad fuel pump?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: flooding issues

I have a 1989 5.0 mercruiser that keeps flooding out on me. today i realized there is a plastic line coming off the fuel pump going into the top of the carb that has gas leaking into the top of my carb. this isnt the line that feeds the carb looks like a vacume line. Can anyone tell me what causes this is it a bad fuel pump?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,...

The gas excapin' through that tube Tells ya, the fuel pump is junk, the diaphram is ruptured....

Probably gas in the oil too...

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant
Re: flooding issues

+1 on Bond-o's reply... I had the exact same thing on my '90 5.0L Get a good replacement pump.... my first was a sierra (to save $$) and the metal pieces of the diaphragm failed after only 7.5 engine hours (the pump really looked cheap, and was made in China). Paid a few more bucks for a better pump and now all is well. They tell me that ethanol in the fuel these days ate away my old pump's fabric reinforced rubber diaphragm (I took apart the pump and validated that). Good luck on your change out. Hope it isn't as much a PITA as mine was! How does your sight-flow tube look? Its 23 years old and I bet quite discolored and hardened. I replaced mine at the same time as the pump.