1976 johnson outboard - no spark

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have a 1976 Johnson 70hp outboard. I bought from a guy who was selling his boat. We ran the motor in the driveway. Checked the compression and I took it home.

I swapped the motor over to my other boat, hooked up the controls, hooked up the battery and I can't get the motortodo anything. I have trip pled checked all my connections. I know the battery is good. But when I turn the key nothing happens. Any thoughts what I'm up against?

Thanks.

orbanp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1976 johnson outboard - no spark

Yo did not say explicitly, but did you take the control with the old motor, or you used the one from yours?
If from yours, is it the same type/year?

Peter

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yo did not say explicitly, but did you take the control with the old motor, or you used the one from yours?
If from yours, is it the same type/year?

Peter

I swapped the controls as well

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Check the fuse under the cowl by the starter solenoid; it may be blown. Good luck

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

thanks guys. that was the issue for it not starting.

Now i have another issue. The motor was running well, we were letting it idle for a few min on the hose. All the sudden it sputtored and died. then it just kept cranking over and over, and would not start. We checked spark, and all the plugs have good spark. We checked the fuel and it is getting to the carbs. Any other thoughts?