1989 Evinrude tilt problem

lewis-allen

Cadet
Hi everyone, just picked myself up a new toy....1989 14ft Fletcher arrowflyte with a 1989 Evinrude VRO 60HP just got it running sweet thanks to the old man, dirty carbs and gaskets missing. The problem i have now is... when tilting the engine everythings all good until the last bit, excuse the lack of technical terms... engine reaches the rams, and forces the rams down with a creaking noise... searched on youtube and the rams should go down just before engine reaches them. same on the way up, reaches half way with a struggle then its fine and sounds normal.... is this just a case of changing oil??? if soo how do i go about doing this?? i see that there is a screw that can be undone on the reservoir but thats all i can see.

iv read that most tilt motors are self bleed... is it just a case of tilt engine right up,secure engine, undo screw.... drain oil and then refill??

if its any help i can upload a video tomorrow at some point.

thanks in advance...lewis:)

emoney

Commander
Re: 1989 Evinrude tilt problem

Doesn't seem like "dirty oil" would be causing this kind of problem. Maybe not enough oil? Is it leaking around the seals that you can see? These older 'JohnnyRudes normally could use a seal kit in the tilt/trim. Post the video and maybe that'll help someone that's experienced it before. And then, see if you can add some oil too because just from reading this, sounds like once it builds up, it works?

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer

That all seems pretty normal from your description. The motor isn't forcing the rams down, the rams are forcing it down. It's actually the Tilt and Trim system, not just tilt. The slow part at the bottom, the Trim, forces the motor both up and down to make minute adjustments to the trim while the boat is moving. The fast part near the top, the Tilt, is just for trailering and the hydraulics only push up and gravity brings it back down. It's not uncommon to have a little bit of squeal.

If it's not dropping as fast as it should then try spraying a little bit of penetrating oil on the pivot point where the motor pivots on the mount but be Very careful not to get any on the hydraulic seals around the trim rams and the tilt because it will eat them and that's something you want to avoid.

The downward motion during the tilt phase is basically gravity causing the motor to follow the tilt hydraulic downward as it moves until the trim rams start to engage.

lewis-allen

Cadet

cheers for the quick replys guys.. had a look today with my dad and weve changed the oil and it still doesnt seem right still makes creaking noises, i took a video of it soo this will show you what i mean.. however from what 'archcycle' said there might not be anything wrong just me being fussy.. sooo heres the link to the video...