1988 evenrude 70 hp vro alarm

luann1212

Recruit
I recently purched this boat. First time out ran great all day, no problems. Second time out after about 40 minutes got the no oil flow alarm. Oil tank is full. Motor starts on the dime and runs smooth. Didn't take any chances and idled in. I took her to my local machanic who said he checked the lines and the pump and oil pump and all seemed good. The only thing he found was very low oil in the lower unit. Would this cause the alarm. I thought the alarm was just for the motor and vro?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

imported_Jimbo

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1988 evenrude 70 hp vro alarm

The alarm does not have anything to do with the oil in the LU. Good thing that was discovered though... The alarm indicates a low or no oil flow from the VRO, go premix (2% oil) if you intend to use the boat while troubleshooting. Common reason is VRO pump or possibly a restricted oil-line or a dirty filter in the VRO-tank.

My fuel-pump went bad on the oil-side so I disconnected the oil-part and use premix (expensive pump) on my -97 70hp. But check the lines for leak and replace the filter first.

//Jimbo

luann1212

Recruit

Thanks for the reply. Thats what I was thinking too. Silly question I'm sure but is the VRo filter located on the oil tank or on the motor its self?

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Is it a solid beeeeeeeeeep or beep beep beep?

luann1212

Recruit

Its a beep beep beep. Oil tank is full Iol line seems clear. Oil filter seems to have flow through it and pump seems to be working. Im wondering if its the oil sencer that is bad but I don't know where or how to check it.