2007 Suzuki 225hp O/B will not crank

tazboating247

Recruit
Hoping someone can help me here. I have a 2007 Suzuki 225hp O/B motor. Bought brand new and never any trouble unit now. Took boat out this weekend and as normal motor started on first try. Went out fishing and shut motor off. When I got ready to leave the motor would not crank. At first it acted like the batteries were dead, but they are less than a year old. Had to have boat towed back in. Yesterday went to boat with battery charger to jump boat off. Batteries are both showing 12.6 volts and good. Now when you turn the key the motor makes a clicking sound almost like a starter would on a car. Any ideas as to what this could be? Is it the batteries or starter? Any help would be great!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2007 Suzuki 225hp O/B will not crank

Howdy.

Welcome to iboats. :)

Could be several things, taz.

1. Cheapest and easiest to fix is hidden corrosion in the battery cable connections. Take both battery cables off at the battery and at the engine. Wire brush them shiny at the ends and reconnect. While you have them off inspect them for swollen or weak spots indicating corrosion in the cable itself. You can also service the heavy cable from the solenoid to the starter motor.

2. Next suspect is the solenoid. If #1 has not solved the trouble use jumper cables to jump from the battery to the engine block (-) and to the starter main stud (+), bypassing the wiring and the solenoid. If the starter turns with full power replace the solenoid.

3. Next suspect is the starter motor. If #2 does not get good results take the starter motor to a starter/generator repair station. They can overhaul it for far less than the price of a replacement starter.

Good luck, and let us know what happens. :)