Need help telling if a pontoon is steel or aluminum from pics. Pics attached! :-)

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi,
Think i found a nice set of replacement toons for my leaky project. The boat is a 73 Kayot, 24' and comes with a trailer which is a bonus. It's an hour drive but i want to make sure they are aluminum. The lady said she was told they were. I assume you can use the magnet test to find out. Can you guys tell by pics if they are aluminum? Boat doesn't seem to have any rust and is left int he water all summer.

Thanks for all your help! Don't want to drive an hour to find out they are steel.

kayot 1.jpgkayot 2.jpgkayot 3.jpg

muskiemike12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Need help telling if a pontoon is steel or aluminum from pics. Pics attached! :

Looks like aluminum to me. The trailer is steel.

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need help telling if a pontoon is steel or aluminum from pics. Pics attached! :

Because I do not see paint, I would say they they are aluminum or stainless. But I have never seen any stainless toons.

My $0.02 worth

Larry

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah i was thinking aluminum because you can see that some of the fasteners above were rusting and nothing else was. And like you guys mentioned i don't see any paint.

I was just worried because i did some internet searches and found some older Kayots that were steel...and other that were aluminum.

Did you have a choice when your ordered the boat back then?
Did the older toons like this have compartments or where they just one big toon?
Thanks for all the info!

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Looks like aluminum but can't be sure by a pic.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I would say alum

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm going to head down tonight to look at it. I assume a magnet will not stick to an aluminum toon but would stick to a steel one?

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yup....steel is magnetic and aluminum is not. Also, aluminum is very reactive to oxygen. It corrodes fast, but creates a protective laywer of aluminum oxide. This layer can be scraped-off with a knife, so you can check it that way. Steel rusts. Aluminum does not. Steel will always need to be painted or covered in order to protect it from rusting. So, chances are, unless the metal is painted or coated, it won't be steel.

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the suggestions. Has an evinrude 65 that needs work, but goes with it and comes with the the scissor trailer. For $700 bucks i don't think i can go wrong as a donor/parts boat.

Leaving to look at it now, will post my findings tonight/tomorrow.

Thanks

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, bought her! 1973 Kayot

Oldest motorized vehicle i have ever owned....set a new record!! Previous record was my 1978 Bronco.

Neat solid old boat. The playpen area is beefy thick aluminum....very tough built boat.

Thanks for all your help!

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

I can't belive you didn't tell us if they were steel or alum. :facepalm:

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

And the winner is: Aluminum!

Thanks for all you played...we are all winners!

I do have a question about a metal capped plug at the back. I assume it's a screw off top vent/drain for the toon? i have never seen one like this...it's almost like a pipe fitting....it's on both toons, wonder if all older ones where like this? I attached a pic

kayot 5.jpgkayot 6.jpg

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

And the winner is: Aluminum!

Thanks for all you played...we are all winners!

I do have a question about a metal capped plug at the back. I assume it's a screw off top vent/drain for the toon? i have never seen one like this...it's almost like a pipe fitting....it's on both toons, wonder if all older ones where like this? I attached a pic

View attachment 157973View attachment 157974

Just a vent-that looks added on but doesn't matter. Mine has plastic on both just different locations.