boat mechanic's prop suggestion

Delatin

Recruit
I have a 2006 suntracker 22' regency with a 135 HP
3.0 mercruiser alpha 1. I was wanting to try a composite prop and an online boat mechanic said I needed a 14x19p. Does that sound correct ?

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: boat mechanic's prop suggestion

I have a 2006 suntracker 22' regency with a 135 HP
3.0 mercruiser alpha 1. I was wanting to try a composite prop and an online boat mechanic said I needed a 14x19p. Does that sound correct ?

Welcome to Iboats.

Unless you gave that "on-line boat mechanic" specific info about your current prop, speeds, and engine RPM's, his information is just here-say.

What does your boat currently have for a prop (pitch, diameter, blade count, material)? What speeds are you attaining at WOT (GPS is best for measuring this)? What is your engine RPM at WOT?

Also wondering why you want a composite prop when aluminum props are fairly cheap, and more durable.

Delatin

Recruit

Welcome to Iboats.

Unless you gave that "on-line boat mechanic" specific info about your current prop, speeds, and engine RPM's, his information is just here-say.

What does your boat currently have for a prop (pitch, diameter, blade count, material)? What speeds are you attaining at WOT (GPS is best for measuring this)? What is your engine RPM at WOT?

Also wondering why you want a composite prop when aluminum props are fairly cheap, and more durable.

I have a 3 blade 16x14p aluminum. 22mph at 4600 rpm. I gave him this info. I went with composite because I already had a hub and only bought the blades

Maclin

Admiral

I think a 19 pitch is wrong. The numbers you just posted indicate a properly propped boat with that engine, the slip may be a little high. Is that a pontoon boat? Do you know the drive ratio?

Maclin

Admiral

One more question, I clicked Submit instead of Preview, sorry...

Is that 4600rpm all the engine can do? Or are you holding back at the 4600rpm? I Just want to be sure the engine does not have some more RPM's in it, that is a pretty low pitch prop.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

I think a 19 pitch is wrong. The numbers you just posted indicate a properly propped boat with that engine, the slip may be a little high. Is that a pontoon boat? Do you know the drive ratio?

^--- Agreed. A 19 pitch would drop your RPMs, and lug your engine which leads to bad things. The prop pitch you have on now is pretty much ideal.

Delatin

Recruit

It is a pontoon with 2.0 ratio. I tried the 19p today just to see and just what I and everyone else but the mechanic thought. Wouldn't get over 3000 rpm and very sluggish. I'll be sending his 19p back to him tomorrow to exchange for what I think, a 16x13p. That should give me my extra 200 rpm I need for water sports.
Thanks guys for your input.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Not composite worst prop for your application..Unless you boat in waters full of hazards.

Maclin

Admiral

The slip you have now, well I mean before the 19p was put on, was high but pretty normal for a pontoon. The 4 blade steelespike suggested will help with that.