Add a axel

lv4cad

Recruit
I have a single axle trailer for my boat, anybody ever add a second axle? Both with drum brakes..
I just think it should be beneficial in more ways than one..

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: Add a axel

I have a single axle trailer for my boat, anybody ever add a second axle? Both with drum brakes..

Why? There is more to the rating than just the axle...

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

I would think you would be better off to just buy a tandem. By the time you buy everything you need to add an axel, brakes, springs, fenders, just to name a few you will have spent a lot of money. Not to mention that your frame might not support it all properly and safely.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

We know nothing about your trailer or your boat, but I can tell you that single axle with disk surge brakes would be my choice for any rig up to about 3000#. Less weight, more maneuverable, less cost to maintain.

What benefits would you expect, and why?

lv4cad

Recruit

Well it's an 18ft runabout. I just thought it would help braking mainly. More brakes, more braking..??

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Surge brake systems are "self modulating" meaning that they brake only as hard as they have too. Unless there is something wrong, there is no way you can lock up surge brakes. So adding a second axle with brakes may not provide any additional braking. It is the resistance presented by the tow vehicle that actuates the trailer brakes. A very light tow vehicle with a tandem trailer may not have enough weight or traction to begin to use the full braking of a tandem trailer. It is all about physics. If you have electric brakes that's a different story as those are adjustable and you can indeed lock them up.

Slow Ride

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Save the money and put it into fuel. Your going to need it! LOL

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

A single axle with brakes should be fine with an 18' boat. The only way to increase brake capacity is to up grade from a 3500 lb axle (probably what you have) with 10" brakes to a 5200 or 6000 lb axle with 12" brakes but I think that is not needed as long as your surge brakes work properly. I have a 20' boat on a single axle with a pair of 10" drums and it stops fine.