New owner of a 1954 QD-15

RJCap

Cadet
I picked up a 1954 Johnson 10 hp QD-15 last week and after getting it to start in a barrel I replaced the impeller and changed the lower unit oil(milky but not too bad), had to change the "O" rings in the fuel line and bought 5' of new two line hose while I was at it. Put it on my 12' Duranautic and she ran like a top all day Saturday. Shifted fine until Sunday. Took it out and in the sandy shallows it felt like I hit something. From what I have been reading here I am thinking clutch dog at the very least, but I won't know until I tear it down.

My question is I have an opportunity to pick up the gears from the lower unit of a QD-17. Will they match up with my older 1954 lower unit? Also, when I break down my lower unit what do i need to do when I put it back together? New seals, gaskets, etc?

Thanks in advance for any help.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: New owner of a 1954 QD-15

I'm thinking you will find the trouble as soon as you get the propeller off. Broken shear pin?????

RJCap

Cadet

I'm thinking you will find the trouble as soon as you get the propeller off. Broken shear pin?????

Sorry, I should have given more detail. I checked the shear pin, and it's okay. It was shifting flawlessly before and now it is a bear to move into forward and when I do get it in forward it just revs and no go. When it felt like I hit something the engine kind of jumped around like it was trying to come out of the water.
I double checked the position of the two linkage bars in that brass fitting and they are positioned right at the curves in the upper and lower bars so the screws go in properly. I am going to recheck the linkage at the shifter itself but it seemed pretty snug. I can't check it out again until Saturday but I am anxious to get it running again because it was a blast just using that old motor.

RJCap

Cadet

Anyone? Will the QD-17 lower unit gears match-up in a 1954 QD-15 lower unit housing. Changing the gears not swapping lower units.

Haus

Seaman Apprentice

not sure if the gears are the same, but i could not get my QD-14 to shift, when i took the lower unit apart, i found the shift fork was bent, and not engaging with the clutch dog. I would inspect your lower unit to see what is actually wrong before buying parts

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I agree - take your unit apart before investing in a new set of gears. Might find it's something relatively simple...

RJCap

Cadet

I will see what I find out then this weekend.
Thanks.

RJCap

Cadet

I agree - take your unit apart before investing in a new set of gears. Might find it's something relatively simple...

Well I took it apart. All the gears are intact, clutch dog is not worn but it appears that the "sleeve" that is in the middle of the clutch dog is broken and the shift fork is broken on the ends. I cannot tell where the shift fork would have connected. Would there have been some "ears" on the "sleeve" of the clutch dog.

lindy46

Captain

The shift fork has "ears" that ride in the grooves on the shift cradle, and as you move the shifter, the fork pushes the cradle back and forth, and with it, the clutch dog.

RJCap

Cadet

Any suggestions as to where I find those parts. Also, I would like to change all the gaskets and o rings. Most sites I check only go back to 1955. Would the parts for a 1955 fit my QD 15?

RJCap

Cadet

Ended up finding the innards for a QD-14 that will fit in my QD-15 that included the shift fork, cradle plus a clutch dog, both forward and reverse gears and a prop shaft for $90 delivered. Also ordered a complete gear case seal kit from vintage outboards for $40. Is there any surprises I should expect win replacing the prop shaft seal or anything else? Cannot wait to get the parts and get everything back together.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Gentle with the housing, I may have broken one or two :)

Get some 3M 847 to use as a sealant, best product on the market.

RJCap

Cadet

Should I use that in addition to the new gaskets where the l/u splits in half or other places too?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

It is used with the spaghetti seal, around the o ring on the prop shaft seal housing, around the circ of the seals, on the screw threads for the skeg and under the impeller housing plate.

RJCap

Cadet

That is much appreciated. I will be referring to it often soon. Thank you to everyone that helped guide me. This is a wonderfully helpful and very knowledgeable forum.

RJCap

Cadet

It's been a few weeks but I finally got the lower unit done. Replaced the broken shifter fork and trashed cradle, replaced all the seals found the 3M sealant at Grainger's and have it back together. Shifts like butter now. Had a minor issue with the high speed needle weeping gas around the fitting but the marina had the correct packing and since replaced that too. While I had it on the stand and after reading everything I could find on these forums I checked the coils and they have been replaced already, looks like newer plug wires, bought a compression tester and am getting just over 60 on both cylinders. I have run it twice this week and checked the lower unit oil and it appears to be sealed up ok. Need to work on my fuel tank next as it leaks gas around the little pump when under pressure. Really enjoying my QD. Built like a little tank.