Overheat + Milky Oil on 1985 Alpha One 3.0 - should I bother?

alvaro167

Recruit
Last summer I purchased an '85 185 Chris Craft with a Mercruiser 185 Alpha One engine. It was running fine up to 2,000 RPM, then it would rev down and pick up, never getting to a halt. I changed the fuel pump/filter and it was running fine past the 2k RPM, then I hit swampy bottom at low speed. After that it started overheating EXCEPT at idle, I figured it was the impeller given the bottom was sandy and may have obstructed it. Summer was over so I decided I would look at posible damage in spring since there was no water coming in the boat, left it in NY water the whole winter.

The overheating engine has only run for a max. of 45 minutes at idle since it started overheating to date - just to get it back home and to the ramp.

This summer it started at first try, drove it at idle to the ramp (20 minutes) and took boat out of the water, changed the pump + impeller, realized the lower unit was cracked and changed it as well.

When I went to check the oil it was 3 time higher than it should, and milky. Hoping for a miracle I drained the oil and refilled it to see if it would get milky again. When I tried to run it I hear a click, then a clack, then nothing, engine won't start. It's getting 12 v so it's not the battery.

Given the above history, and bypassing the obvious stupid things I've done like not winterizing it, etc :( ...would you engine experts recommend me to put more money into it (like taking it to a REAL mechanic to at least look at it) or think about getting a new engine all together?

Thanks in advance for your expert opinion, much appreciated! :):):)
Alvaro

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant
Re: Overheat + Milky Oil on 1985 Alpha One 3.0 - should I bother?

Well my thinking is......If the lower cracked.....THE MOTOR CRACKED AS WELL!

Your motor is locked up! Time for a new power plant!

Sorry about your luck....and please learn from this mistake.... Boat left in water in NY and not winterized!

Good luck

alvaro167

Recruit
Re: Overheat + Milky Oil on 1985 Alpha One 3.0 - should I bother?

Thank you Chief!
That's what I thought...and yes lesson definitely learned :)