Quick question

Gpayne

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Please forgive my ignorance, but I've seen a few newer I/O's with twin props on the same outdrive, pitched opposite of each other. Is this a counter-rotating drive or something like that? If so, does it help with torque-steer or help reduce cavitation? How does reverse work? Do both props reverse, or just one? Thanks.

Thalasso

Commander
Re: Quick question

Please forgive my ignorance, but I've seen a few newer I/O's with twin props on the same outdrive, pitched opposite of each other. Is this a counter-rotating drive or something like that? If so, does it help with torque-steer or help reduce cavitation? How does reverse work? Do both props reverse, or just one? Thanks.

One prop turns one direction while the other turns the opposite direction.In reverse they turn the opposite direction to what they were while moving forward. You pretty much answered your question. Much easier to back up and have control then a single prop.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yes, eliminates torque steer, helps reduce "ventilation", helps with hole shot, limited to around 60 MPH and then singles excel.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

For the majority of I/O boats you see with these props, if it's a:

Volvo it'll be called a Duoprop

Mercruiser it'll be called a Bravo 3

OMC it's be called a Dual Prop

Mark

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Those were also used on WWII torpedoes. That era Torpedo needed to run straight, as they were unguided.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Well there you go. Learn something new every day. I did not recall that OMC had marketed the Volvo DP under their name during the JV period. I assumed (always bad) that was only the SX that was branded both ways. Cool :)

shrew

Lieutenant

QC, I thought the same as you and went to look it up before I cried 'foul'. I was as surprised as you are.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Heck, I cheated, I talked to Don ;) Looks like '96 - '98 they were marketed both ways . . .

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

...think I just pulled that out from somewhere without looking it up also?????.....it was a distant memory of being at a boat show in the 90's that made me remember they had something with their name on it also.......

Mark

bekosh

Lieutenant

Out of curiosity, are there any twin prop outboards? :confused:
It seems to me that the same benefits for twin prop I/O's would apply to OB's as well.