power difference in Merc 60 compared to Force 50?

mklinger

Cadet
I'm looking at upgrading my outboard from the current 89 50hp Force. Came across a 1999 Mercury/Tracker Pro series 60 hp. Think I would notice much power increase? my 50hp is only getting me up to about 23 mph with all my fishing gear on my Sepectrum 1706. Also what do you all think is a fair price to pay for a 1999 60hp Merc with controls?
thanks

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Re: power difference in Merc 60 compared to Force 50?

About 2, maybe 3 mph. No idea what a fair price is

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I don't know if Force ever rated at the prop. That Merc IS prop rated and you can realize another 10-15% increase in engine (the Merc) hp based upon that alone. You could ping Frank A. on here or go to the Force forum and look him up. I never can spell his last name. He is the resident guru on the badge.

One thing you will pickup is loop charging and a lot better mpg than you current have with the cross flow charged Force. That in itself is significant.

After you make your purchase you need to setup your Merc to optimize performance to get your max mph you are looking for. You can come back with some pics and mph and rpm at WOT when you get that far along and we can guide you through the process.

Mark

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

As I understand it Force was never rated at the prop zoo your probably close to 15 hp ahead of the game.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

As I understand it Force was never rated at the prop zoo your probably close to 15 hp ahead of the game.

I agree but wasn't sure so I took the easy way out. Grin.
Mark

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

NO! Force was always rated at the prop! ALL outboards were prop rated by NMMA agreement in the early 1980s--while the engines were still Chrysler.

However Mercs are almost always under-rated--I don't know if it is true but I read on the forums that Merc was rated at 3/4 throttle because full throttle was (according to Mr. Keiksheifer) for emergency use.

Anyway, the Merc 60 will make your 89 Force look sick. Now, if it were a later 3.375 big bore Force 50 the story might be different, but yours has the smaller 3.3125 bore. A step up from the earlier tiny 3.187, but not enough.

I would be disappointed if you did not see a gain of 5-8 MPH top end.