Bimini top adaptability and ACCY toggle switch functionality on a Maxum 2300/2400 SC

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer
Hi, everyone. Finally got to take my new craft on a decent tour. I'm really impressed with the ride and handling. I've outfitted the boat with Piranha composite props if anyone is interested on a review.

I have a couple of issues I need help with. I have three full canvas options with my boat: mooring, full camper and half camper (I think those are the style names) but I want a bimini. Ive asked for a couple of quotes via email and received estimates around the $2300 mark! I thought this was outrageous considering I can have one shipped via iBoats for under $1000. My question is, does the existing tube hardware also support the bimini tops or does one have to completely removed the camper top if they want to use the bimini top. Has anyone purchased a generic bimini from iBoats?

Secondly, all the ACCY toggles switches on my dash. I know the function of only one: wiper. I cannot figure what the others do but they do light up when switched. BTW, pump and lighting are separate switches. I am referring to the 4 ACCY toggles.

Thanks in advance.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bimini top adaptability and ACCY toggle switch functionality on a Maxum 2300/2400

Can you post a pic of the Camper setups? Are you sure that you can't unzip portions of that to act as a Bimini? I know some Maxums come with a "convertible" type top where the canvas snaps to the windshield, and maybe that's how your Camper works, but typically the full camper setup should be able to have the side, front and rear panels unzipped.

If the answer is it can't be used that way, period then the problem with using your existing frame is that the frame would have to be fed through your new Bimini canvas every time you wanted to change. Considering the frame mounts and stays, this could be a major chore.

Edit: Is this what you have?

19567_image_main.jpg

If so, then I see your problem . . . :( Not easily solved.

hostage

Lieutenant
Re: Bimini top adaptability and ACCY toggle switch functionality on a Maxum 2300/2400

He has the camper/convertable which sucks as a bimini. It is more of a parashoot than a sun protector. I have exactly what you have + the iboats sunbrella bimini and I love it! I haven't used convertable top in years. Though coicendantly I am going to be using it this weekend as we are going to sleep on the boat for the first time. This is a 1900 SC. I can get you all the details on what I got if you want something identical. Though as your boat is bigger you might require a wider bimini.

Good Luck
Hostage

IMG_0309.jpgbimini.jpg

Edit: QC that should be exactly what he has. I think I can mount my camper enclosure below my bimin, though I have yet to test it.

Edit Again: Saw you mentioned $1k on iboats? I paid $336.98 shipped for Sunbrella Forest Green Bimini, Poles, Boot, hardware, and rigid support poles.

http://www.iboats.com/Sunbrella-Top-Boot/dm/view_id.92373
http://www.iboats.com/Aluminum-Tubing-W-Nylon-Fittings-Pair-Westland/dm/view_id.117952

Edit One Last time: The Accy on my dash don't work either, they are for "accessory". If you want to add something and control it at the helm, attach it to that switch.

Lastly, no you can't use the existing tubes and hardware from the camper for a bimin. The OEM bimini top hooks up to the windshield just like the camper, though good luck finding that in a good condition for that price.

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the quick response! I have the setup in the pick you posted and the following:

While we're on the subject, I also have several pieces of the canvas that have that snap showing in the second picture, usually on the window pieces. Some also have about an 8" piece of belt with a receiver snap on the other end. I have no idea what these snap to.

One more thing: is this your boat in the pic? I am REALLY looking for suggestions on mounting a kicker and i see this one has it but it's a little hard to see.

Attachments

• Boat Misc 02.jpg
    Boat Misc 02.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat Misc 04.jpg
    Boat Misc 04.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 0

haulnazz15

Captain

Well if he has the full camper option, then there should be a rear frame to extend the bimini top back past the end of the windshield like in that picture. In that picture, I can't tell if the rear camper support is just folded down, or if that is a lateral-support pole. As far as the ACC switches, the only way to find out is to look behind the panel and see if they go to anything. They may be open switches not tied to anything. Most boats usually have at least 1 ACC switch from the factory regardless of whether anything was added to warrant it.

QC

Supreme Mariner

A good canvas shop may be able to make something cool out of that setup, but . . . The forward stay does not look forward enough to protect the skipper. If it can be slid forward, and also the second set behind, then maybe it could be modified to work well. If you add a clear panel instead of the sloped canvas forward. Unzippable. Then maybe you've got something that can be used as both (best). A lot of ifs and maybes there . . . :redface:

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer

Another excellent response! If you are happy with iboats bimini then thats good enough for me. Please post your dimensions and I will compare to the ones I take tonight. My quote of roughly $1000 was based on stainless tubing and hardware for I believe a 46" high model. Did you do assembly yourself? And, is Sumbrella the way to go?

haulnazz15

Captain

While we're on the subject, I also have several pieces of the canvas that have that snap showing in the second picture, usually on the window pieces. Some also have about an 8" piece of belt with a receiver snap on the other end. I have no idea what these snap to.

The strips are for rolling up the side/rear curtains to allow fresh air in. The glass is rolled up from the bottom, then the strap is passed underneath the rolled material and snapped back to the top. This lets you open the enclosure without having to un-mount the whole thing.

QC

Supreme Mariner

My recommendation on height is to barely clear your head standing at the helm. Provides for the most shade, latest in the day. Looks cool too.

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer

Man, you guys are terrific!

hostage

Lieutenant

Another excellent response! If you are happy with iboats bimini then thats good enough for me. Please post your dimensions and I will compare to the ones I take tonight. My quote of roughly $1000 was based on stainless tubing and hardware for I believe a 46" high model. Did you do assembly yourself? And, is Sumbrella the way to go?

I looked over my emails and couldn't any demsions. In any case the demsions will be different between our boats. The cost of SS tubes seems a little to high imho. The nickle plated alm is light weight and is holding up w/o an issue. I assembled and mounted it myself. I played around before I mounted it to maximize the protection from the sun for the driver and people in back. I mounted it about 1ft above my head. While mounting it lower will give me a little more protection later and earlier in the day, I prefer the openess. It protects me when the sun is the hottest, yet feels roomy, and makes it easier for fishing.

Regarding QC, that is just a pic he got from the internet.

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer

Looking for a little more something we may have missed.
I took the dimensions of the boat last night and I also compared it to the tops for some of the pre-measured tops for boats of a different year (but that I think are the same design). When I was taking the cockpit dimension I pondered just how long the top should be, as in how far forward and how far rearward. I figured to the top of the windshield closest the drive to the forward part of rear bench. This worked out to 105 inches. On all the suggested sizes on iBoats for same or similar boat, the pre-cut size was 6' or 72". Big difference. My measurement is likely too long but what is the standard for deciding length?
I also determined based on the measuring guide that none of the existing hardware or mounting spots would be usable for an ordered bimini. I then stepped back and took another look at my camper top and wondered "why not?" as in why cant these exisitng poles be used by simply inserting a tarp?
Just cant decide.