To Whom It May Concern: Marine Audio/Stereo Forum Section Needed

Erikste

Cadet
To Whom It May Concern:

With music being such a big part of life these days, why isn't there a "Marine Audio/Stereo" listed as an iboats sub-forum?

I've been looking and researching for weeks on audio system design methodology for boats and thought for sure iboats would have a forum dedicated to those boat and audio enthusiests out there... Guess Not!

Not sure how many of you are out there, but if you agree with me, take 30 seconds and say so by replying to this post.

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: To Whom It May Concern: Marine Audio/Stereo Forum Section Needed

I would imagine because it falls under the Electrical, Electronics, Audio and Trolling Motors, section, lol.

I'd also venture that audio stuff is covered by a hundred other sites on the internet, there's not much specific to boats unless you buy into "marine-rated" speakers/equipment. I can pretty much sum up most audio problems with "is there power to the amp/HU, is there a ground, are the speakers wired to it". It's pretty difficult to screw up audio unless you start messing with impedance below the amps rated limit.

wcsellers

Cadet

I agree. Not much in electronics for this. Maybe a sub forum of electronics could happen.

Erikste

Cadet

OK well i'm a bonehead! Thanks for pointing that out.

actually looking for feedback on infinite baffle subwoofers vs their enclosure designed counterparts.

Again, I'm an idiot!

haulnazz15

Captain

Feedback as far as what? By infinite baffle, I assume you mean "free air" subs? Short story: you won't get the best performance out of any sub without having an enclosure that meets the specs for that particular sub. The free-air subs can make due without the enclosure, but will never have equal performance of their same-size/spec enclosed-sub counterparts except by sheer luck. Heck, even a sub put in a box that's a little too small will sound as good as a lot of free-air subs I've heard.