When's the last time you were surprised by a fishing spot?

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer
Went to a local college today for fun with the wife and kid. They have a small pond, all cement, not very deep, and I never knew there was anything even in there. I went to this school 9+ years ago and never even thought of tossing a line in these ponds. I use to go stand on the side of it to clear my head before every test I took in college. Anyways, tossed out little chunks of turkey dog and caught 8-10 small catfish. It was a ton of fun. Not big fish hunting by a long shot, but a great place to take the kids, feed some ducks, have a picnic, and teach them to feel the bite. Cool spot, glad I gave it a shot.

Anyone else ever try a spot you figured there would be nothing, and ended up with a little gem of a spot?

countryboy26047

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: When's the last time you were surprised by a fishing spot?

Went to a local college today for fun with the wife and kid. They have a small pond, all cement, not very deep, and I never knew there was anything even in there. I went to this school 9+ years ago and never even thought of tossing a line in these ponds. I use to go stand on the side of it to clear my head before every test I took in college. Anyways, tossed out little chunks of turkey dog and caught 8-10 small catfish. It was a ton of fun. Not big fish hunting by a long shot, but a great place to take the kids, feed some ducks, have a picnic, and teach them to feel the bite. Cool spot, glad I gave it a shot.

Anyone else ever try a spot you figured there would be nothing, and ended up with a little gem of a spot?

Heck, anymore, anytime I catch a fish I'm surprised! lol Actually, just about 1/2 mile up the road from my house are 3 ponds that are on private property.. Been wanting to hit them for bass for the last couple of years, but never knew who owned them, and hardly ever see anyone fishing them (I'm not one to see water and just grab the pole and start fishing, knowing I'm trespassing)... Well, as luck would have it, while working one day, I go to this guy's house to check the lines outside.. come to find out he played in the same golf league as my dad did for years... ALSO found out, he owns the ponds and told me I'm welcome to come fish anytime I want! That was about 2 weeks ago... I have yet to hit them :(

ngt

Heck, anymore, anytime I catch a fish I'm surprised! lol Actually, just about 1/2 mile up the road from my house are 3 ponds that are on private property.. Been wanting to hit them for bass for the last couple of years, but never knew who owned them, and hardly ever see anyone fishing them (I'm not one to see water and just grab the pole and start fishing, knowing I'm trespassing)... Well, as luck would have it, while working one day, I go to this guy's house to check the lines outside.. come to find out he played in the same golf league as my dad did for years... ALSO found out, he owns the ponds and told me I'm welcome to come fish anytime I want! That was about 2 weeks ago... I have yet to hit them :(

that's awesome! Go get'em!!

jcupo6

Chief Petty Officer

I'm always surprised. Every spot I pick is perfect for catching bass, yet I never do... :facepalm:

One spot on my local lake sticks out. It was a few years ago, a nice spot that I've fished many times before without much luck. This particular day I caught 5 bass on 5 straight casts. They were all nice sized too. My uncle was on the boat with me, same lure and fished the same spot with me. He didn't even get a bite. :). Haven't caught a fish there since. :mad:

countryboy26047

Petty Officer 1st Class

My uncle was on the boat with me, same lure and fished the same spot with me. He didn't even get a bite. :). Haven't caught a fish there since. :mad:

Isn't it crazy how that can happen?? I know many times when me and dad are fishing, whether it's trolling or drifting, without realizing it we'll both put on the same exact color & size lure (typically either a hot n' tot or night crawler harness), one of us will be having good luck, and the other will get skunked... Also, it's funny cause every time we're trolling the river, if we find a spot where we catch multiple fish, we check for a landmark so we know where we was.... go back out another 10 times, and never even get a strike in that spot.

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

A couple of years ago I fished a resevior thats loaded with many species - the place was dead; I couldn't get a bite on a real worm, and the place is full of White Perch! There were grass carp all over the surface skimming - they are usualy shy? I never did figure it out.
Once we snuck into a golf course near Miami, and I was shocked by the huge Tarpon in such small ponds!

ngt

We went back to the pond and were getting catfish after catfish. My buddy was letting a smaller one tug for a second right by the side of the pond and out of nowhere a nice 3-4 pound bass shot up next to it. We weren't sure if it went for his hotdog chunk or was trying to eat the catfish. Thoughts? The water has almost no visibility. Thoughts on getting one of these bass? loud lures?