restart issue

shadowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 3.0 mercruiser pontoon boat. takes a few cranks on the starter to get it primed and running, runs great. if I park it and shut it off for an hour( give or take) or more it will not start up right away, rather it acts like it did at the first start of the day, maybe 20-30 seconds on starter to prime again. I dont lay on starter, just 5 second bursts, What could be the problem? would an electric fuel pump solve the problem ? I have had this a year and it has always done this. I realize this is not good for starter among other things, not to mention how annoying it is.........

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: restart issue

Since it's not fuel injected you can't just turn the key and expect it to start. Can you explain your starting procedure?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Bet you aren't using the throttle only button on the control and giving it some throttle while cranking are you?

shadowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I push in button and pump throttle 5 times or more and give it a little throttle, still takes a while to prime.

ckirk

Cadet

Check out this thread: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=534793 it may help. I have a similar sounding issue with my 3.0 L and I am pretty sure it has to do with the carberator float setting as descirbed in the thread. I have the kit but have not had the time to fix it as of yet.
With the wrong float setting the bowl overfills with fuel which then drains into the intake while the enigne is off flooding the engine. I have to push the throttle all the way to get maximum air into the engine and crank the engine 5 seconds or so to get it started and then quickly back of the throttle once it starts.

Oshkosh1

Ensign

Try the following sequence(starting from neutral using either the button, or pulling the throttle out to disengage the drive)...
Wide open---Neutral---Wide open---1/2 Throttle---Turn key.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I push in button and pump throttle 5 times or more and give it a little throttle, still takes a while to prime.

No, I don't think it's taking a while to prime, I think you are probably pumping the thing so many times you're flooding it. 1 or 2 times and 1/4 throttle should start fine. Give it a try and experiment. Depending on your engine it may take something different.

shadowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will try some of these suggestions next time out. Thanks for the replys.

shadowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will try some of these suggestions next time out. Thanks for the replys.