Can I rebuild a marine carburetor with an automotive rebuild kit?

projo198

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have an OMC 2.3 Ford motor. I know it is frowned upon using automotive parts for marine applications, but is it safe to do this? Is there a number of parts I can re-use to make this safe? To my understanding the biggest difference is that the overflow on the carb goes back into the tank on marine applications where in a car it is allowed to flow free.

If this is a possibility is there a particular vehicle that used this same carb? I looked at similar-aged Ford Rangers with no success.

Either way I am trying to figure out exactly what kit I need; I believe the carb is a Rochester, carb model 2GE. It still confuses me that a GM carb is on a Ford motor.

685c5a9e.jpg

4c94a9f5.jpg

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Can I rebuild a marine carburetor with an automotive rebuild kit?

I am not going to say yes or no. I used a automotive rebuild kit on a 4.3 and it didn't run perfect. I turned around and used a marine kit and it ran perfect. The only difference between the two (that I could see) was a slightly different top bowl gasket. Diffenrence being one had a extra hole in a place that you wouldn't think it would matter.

cr2k

Captain

If the gaskets are the same yes. Use the accelerator pump spring that is now with the carb, auto springs are softer and can cause hesitation. If it's a holly you will need either a marine or high altitude power valve the auto kit one just won't run right.

Petty Officer 1st Class

only difference is the top bowl gasket. The marine gasket allows for the bowl vent to escape back into venturi.

projo198

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys. For now I am going to disassemble and clean everything I can without doing a whole rebuild, and order the kit in case that doesn't do the job.

Thanks!