How to operate a 1971 mercury 40 hp outboard?

kacm31

Recruit
I am brand new to boating. I just aquired a 14 foot atwood fiberglass boat with a mercury 40 hp outboard motor. I have zero experience with the controls, and I am looking for some detailed help on the proper operation. There is two different levers on the control box plus a choke button and key. Any advise/help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How to operate a 1971 mercury 40 hp outboard?

Welcome to iboats. I'm certainly NOT a pro, but since nobody has responded, I might be able to provide some advise. My 1st motor was a 76 merc outboard.

Your 2 levers: The longer one with the handle is your throttle. The shorter lever allows you to increase your idle rpms. To start the engine, make sure your engine is level, and has a water supply to the lower unit inlets. Water can be supplied by muffs, or obviously by being in the water. Squeeze primer bulb until firm, then give a few shots to the choke button. Move the idle lever to roughly the midpoint, and turn the engine over. When the engine starts, immediately move the idle lever back down. Once the engine is warm, you will no longer need to choke, or prime. Just turn the key and go.

Hope this helps

Alumarine

Captain

I'll add a bit to the above.
The longer handle is both the throttle and the gear shift.
Straight up is neutral, forward is forward and back is - well you get it.
The more you push it forward (or backward) the more throttle you give it.

When cold you should hold the choke button in until it starts.
Do not advance the throttle lever with the fast idle lever engaged.

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do not advance the throttle lever with the fast idle lever engaged.

^^That's right. Hugely important. If you do, you will destroy your lower unit gears in short order. I know this, because I did it!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I think we are working this problem on the Boating Forum and there is already a lot of information there.

Mark

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Gee, I was going to say, warm the motor, put her in forward, close your eyes and hammer the throttle. That is how most operate their boats.....

Sorry, couldn't resist...Don't do that Kacm31

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

Gee, I was going to say, warm the motor, put her in forward, close your eyes and hammer the throttle. That is how most operate their boats.....

That explains the white cane sweeping back and forth in front of the bow