1986 Force 35 Fuel line deliver...3/8" barb

scott11580

Cadet
Hey guys! New member here, glad to finally be a part of the boating community! Well almost a member of the boating community......need help getting her going. So I got this set-up on Sunday the 7th and the guy I bought it from said that apparently kids cut his fuel line and stole his tank. Now I am a mechanicly inclined person so I figure I can buy a nice project boat for cheap that is solid and get it going for a few hundred bucks, so I get it home and I have no idea what I am doing on an outboard. Left in the boat is a little 3 gallon moldy tank and some random fuel lines. Looking at the motor there seems to be a 3/8" male barb from what my research has told me, and my question is what do I need to do to go from a fuel tank with a primer bulb set-up to get it to work. I am guessing I should attach a 3/8" female barb but do I connect directly into a fuel line then, or do I have somo sort of adapter to plug into that two prong set up that come with most primer bulb kits? I have no idea! I have included a pic of the boat, the barb and leftover fuel tank/lines. The boat is what I believe is a 1970 16' Ashcraft tri-hull fiberglass side console and who knows what kind of trailer. Also does this boat fall under tri hull or a flats boat or fishing boat or?????
Thanks guys,
Scott

Attachments

• Boat Side Photo.jpg
    Boat Side Photo.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Male Fuel Barb.jpg
    Male Fuel Barb.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Gas tank and fuel line.jpg
    Gas tank and fuel line.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 0

btroy

Seaman
Re: 1986 Force 35 Fuel line deliver...3/8" barb

Hi and welcome! :)

You have two different type connections there. They will not work together. That should give you some type of idea of what you need.

Hope that helps.

2012-07-11_10.32.10.jpg2012-07-11_10.32.19.jpg2012-07-11_10.32.31.jpg

scott11580

Cadet

Yes..this is obvious..I know I have two different type of connections there.....that is why I wrote this forum topic....because I need to know what I need to do to go from a two prong connection to the male barb. Can I remove the two prong connection and add a female barb and hook a fuel line directly to the barb or do I have to maintain that two prong connection and do something else with that barb....

Hi and welcome! :)

You have two different type connections there. They will not work together. That should give you some type of idea of what you need.

Hope that helps.

View attachment 157639View attachment 157640View attachment 157641

tcraft1

Cadet

All portable tanks come with a female NPT, each manufacturer has thier own plug setup. You could go from a barb at the tank to the barb on the fuel pump in the motor, however, it would be best to have a quick disconnect of any manufacturer at the tank for removing it from the boat to fill. I would suggest a new line/w/primer bulb and which ever cheapest fitting you can find at the tank, wally has everything you need. Don't forget to add a fuel filter inline. Wally also has some cheap mold/mildue cleaner that will easily take all that black off that tank.

scott11580

Cadet

Ok cool. That is exactly what I was looking for. I didnt know if there was something special I had to do for that fitting on the fuel pump or not. I had never dealt with a "Force" engine before. I guess I had always seen the murcury 2 prong quick release set up. I actually found everything I need at Academy Sports. Very helpful Mr. Tcraft1. Thank you for taking the time to answer my newbie questions.....Figured I would make an A** out of myself anonymously online as aposed to asking the guys at the marina lol

All portable tanks come with a female NPT, each manufacturer has thier own plug setup. You could go from a barb at the tank to the barb on the fuel pump in the motor, however, it would be best to have a quick disconnect of any manufacturer at the tank for removing it from the boat to fill. I would suggest a new line/w/primer bulb and which ever cheapest fitting you can find at the tank, wally has everything you need. Don't forget to add a fuel filter inline. Wally also has some cheap mold/mildue cleaner that will easily take all that black off that tank.