fuel water separator

cokeman22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How often do u change one . Is running to a 2000 Johnson 250 . One a season maybe twice . Just asking before I waste my money .

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: fuel water separator

With the fuel we have today I would change it at least twice a season, but that depends on the length of your season.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Up North, I change them annually- at winterizing time.

robert graham

Admiral

I dump mine and screw it back on, replace the canister every couple of years...a lot would depend on the size of your fuel tank and the amount of water or trash in fuel. I run a red plastic 12 gallon tank, fuel stays fresh(Stabil) and clean, very little water or trash in the system. I ran one canister for 3 years before replacing it, then hacksawed the old one just to see what was in it....not much other than a few drops of water and small amount of the normal particulate matter to be expected...I doubt it even needed replacement, but I felt better with putting a new cartridge in it!;)

M.A.CCruiser

Seaman

also, if you are running a carbed engine, according to Evinrude tech (sent them an email yesterday and they called me back... nice service) then make sure you are running 20+ micron filter. Most of the kits come with a 10 micron. According to them, although it'll run, and may even run well, that little extra drag on the fuel pressure can cause a lean condition and higher RPMs

For Fuel Injected you're fine with a standard 10 micron

cokeman22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hmmm I've been running a 10 now I wonder if I should get a 20. N ya I dump mine and put it back on but was afraid do say it. I definitely feel better now knowing in not alone

cokeman22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sweet thx ill swing by west marine today before I put her in tomorrow thx again