Ever seen a leak from the swim platform support?

Thales14

Seaman Apprentice
Some of the 20' ft bow riders I'm looking at have an angled support member that attaches to the bottom of the back of the boat (transom?) below the water line.
I'm wondering whether that's a common source of leaks, or something I should be concerned about.
Any information is appreciated.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Ever seen a leak from the swim platform support?

Anything can leak, so inspect them all.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

They leak all the time, cause transom rot, and fill bilges with water.

SDSeville

Lieutenant

^^^^^^^This. If sealed properly -- no problem, but not unusual to come loose, leak, and cause big problems.

bgc

Ensign

Yup, the factor swim platform on my boat was used as a fender before I got her. All the cracks were repaired and the new brackets went up with plenty of 3M, 5200 Marine sealant.
IMG_1310.jpg

IMG_1205.jpg

southkogs

Staff member

My boat is 40 years old and had an aftermarket platform added to it at some point. I'm assuming that it's been on there around 10 or 15 years. It just started leaking at a couple of points. I've siliconed it up for the moment (it spends most of it's time on a trailer) and will be reworking it this winter.

They're pretty easy to fix back up.

Thales14

Seaman Apprentice

I love technology.
Am new to boating and this dang forum is great in providing an instantaneous source of a wealth of information and experience to draw from. Have leaned more in reading for two weeks than I have in boating classes.
Thanks to all.