1996 MCM 4.3LX Alpha One - POWER STEERING LEAK AT COOLER

mjwest96

Recruit
I have a 1996 Bayliner with a MCM 4.3 LX Alpha One with serial number OF605228 that has a power steering leak

First issue: I found the leak was it the cooler inlet (hose from control valve to cooler). It was leaking at the cooler fitting. Steps taken to fix:
1) Found the hose had a crack in it at the fitting. Cut the bad part off and reattached. It ran ok in the yard with water hooked up to it but when I drove it "harder" on the lake, the leak developed again.
2) Found hose was cracked again - tried the same as above but same problem developed again.
3) Bought a new hose from control valve to cooler. Replaced. Ran in yard - ok. Drove on lake, developed leak again (hose did have crack it again).
4) Took off cooler and looked at it. Barb was a little corroded and a bump of solder was on it. Filed solder down and cleaned up corrosion to show shiney brass. Applied gasket sealer to it and reattaced the hose and waited 30 hours for gasket sealer to cure. Tried in yard - ok. Drove for 4 minutes on the lake and the hose blew off at the same location.

Now I think it may be the cooler is plugged a little. I blew on the barb for the power steering hose and felt some restriction in the airflow.

Could this be the problem or is there something else I should check?

Issue two: I went to order a new cooler from Mercury. On **********, I found the part number was 807292T. I called my local marine shop and they said the replacement # is 861554T01. When I searched the internet for this number, the photo looks nothing like the cooler I have. After additional searching, part number 99356A2 looks like the cooler I have.

Do you know why there is this confusion? Does my boat have the wrong cooler (I bought the boat used) and that is why I am having the problem? All schematics that I have viewed show a sketch similar to the cooler I have.

Please help!