NS-40D Oil and oil filter questions

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Motor has LT 50 hours on clock.
Oil filter has never been serviced.
Have OEM service manual.

1) Are the filter elements that expensive that you wouldn't just replace them? Or are they really OK just to clean?

2) Everyone swears that the mixing pumps on these are very close to bullet-proof. So, if I test the alarm, and it is OK, do you need to go through the hassle of hooking up a 50:1 premix temp supply and disconnect the oil feed tube to check that way as well? Is that routine maintenance or just if you suspect that there may be a problem?

3) Last, the Nissan dealer where I bought this sold me a gallon jug of OMC TCW-3 for injection systems. (they also sell OMC). If I stay with a good brand of injection oil, can they be mixed? The last of the OMC product is in the motor now.

Thanks.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: NS-40D Oil and oil filter questions

The filter element, 3C7710330M OIL FILTER $6.53, is pretty easy to change. Very similar to the fuel filter. If the oil and tank are kept very clean, they will last a long time.

If you feel that you are not using enough oil, you can run through the volume tests. Not routine maintenance, though, as these run very well and reliably.

Ordinary TCW-3 will work (OMC does not make oil, they make stickers for the jugs:)) Oil for DFI motors is better, but not needed on an auto-mix 40D. Best to not mix oils, but we have customers who run the oil low and then change brands without any problems.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

The filter element, 3C7710330M OIL FILTER $6.53, is pretty easy to change. Very similar to the fuel filter. If the oil and tank are kept very clean, they will last a long time.
OK, thanks! Cleaning should be fine.

Ordinary TCW-3 will work (OMC does not make oil, they make stickers for the jugs:)) Oil for DFI motors is better, but not needed on an auto-mix 40D.
I know that... :) ....but wasn't sure about different manufacturers. What I am really suggesting is that that the OMC "brand" is not as easy to find as some others. I was thinking of a one-time switch to something that I can get reliably from a source nearby.
Sounds like that won't be an issue.

As a Master Tech do you have any problems with the eco-friendly oil options available now?

pvanv

Admiral

As long as the oil meets the TCW-3 specification, feel free to use whatever kind you like. The only "eco-friendly" options I am aware of are reclaimed/recycled oil, though there are some oils that claim a faster breakdown in the marine environment, hence less overall toxicity. For pre-mix applications, I do like to run the better synthetics, such as amsoil, as you can run less oil. Less oil = less smoke.