Prop destroyed...need new one, changing pitch?

docster

Seaman
Well last week we were in a new lake, that had a few shallow spots, with a lot of rocks. tried to get up on plane before reaching the shallow, hit the prop, huge divit/chunk out of it. Anyway, here is the deal. Boat is a 18Ft fish/ski, which weighs around 2000lbs with me and gear on it, powered by a 115hp Mariner 4 cyl. Primary use is watersports, occasional fishing, so I really want the hole shot, top speed means little to me really since I dont think it has seen full RPM in a long long long time, and we are original owners. Anyways, currently has 19p 3 blade al prop with a 13" diameter. I would like to keep al because id rather replace 10 props than one lower drive unit. Question is will a 17p 3 blade with a 13.5 diameter or a 19p 4 blade be better for my hole shot? Or do you have a recommendation for me? Again, please dont recommend a SS prop for me, I am well aware they out perform an AL prop, but we have lots of rocky lakes around here, and its just not worth it to me, especially since I am not the only driver.

Thanks

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Prop destroyed...need new one, changing pitch?

Props can generally be repaired even with significant damage. If you were reasonably satisfied with its performance you could get it repaired and have it as a back up. Then pick another prop to try out. It sounds like they are an expendable item for you.

docster

Seaman

this one is not fixable, at least not for any less than just buying new...its missing a large quater size piece out of one fo the fins...really impressive actually.

docster

Seaman

no other suggestions on props?

jestor68

Commander

Since you failed to mention what your WOT rpm is now, we're shooting from the hip here.

You might go with the Solas Amita 12-3/4 X 17 for better hole shot.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think the 3 blade 17p would pull more than a 19p 4 blade. If the 19p 3 blade was making max rpm limits... i imagine a 17-18p 4 blade aluminum would give you the pulling power and holeshot you are wanting. Hope this helps...