2001 225 optimax will not start

Dallasb

Recruit
2001 225 mercury optimax was running fine thirty minutes later tried to crank to move fishing spots and the engine backfired cracking the cowel. Thinking the engine was gone I removed the cowel to find absolutely no visual damage to the engine. The engine still turns over normal as ever but will not start. Local marine checked compression fire and fuel and all is normal except fuel pressure and air pressure is the same. Marine shop is having to call mercury in for more diagnoses would love any input for solving my problems Thanks

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 2001 225 optimax will not start

Fuel and air pressure should not be the same.

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

there is a valve on the fuel/air rail that maintains a pressure relationship between air and fuel. What pressures are you seeing?

Dallasb

Recruit

there is a valve on the fuel/air rail that maintains a pressure relationship between air and fuel. What pressures are you seeing?

I do not know the actual pressure but was told from the marina the fuel pressure was good but the air pressure was the same. I will find out the exact pressures and post as soon as possible.

Dallasb

Recruit

I do not know the actual pressure but was told from the marina the fuel pressure was good but the air pressure was the same. I will find out the exact pressures and post as soon as possible.

fuel pressure and air pressure is 80 psi. I was told the fuel should be 12 psi more

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There is a valve on the fuel/air rail called a tracker valve. Its job is to maintain 10 psi difference between air and fuel pressures. I would start by inspecting this valve.

Dallasb

Recruit

There is a valve on the fuel/air rail called a tracker valve. Its job is to maintain 10 psi difference between air and fuel pressures. I would start by inspecting this valve.

I was told tracker valve is ok but the starboard fuel rail is the problem. Mercury is not 100% sure of this but is trying to get me to buy fuel rail. It seems mercury is wanting to just throw parts till problem is corrected not very happy the way mercury is handling this problem. Seems they would have an alternative way of correcting problems instead of guessing. Ive been a mercury owner for thirty years will not be another thirty with customer service like this.