New Water Pump - Still not pumping water

aedrang

Recruit
I have a 1984 Evinrude 35 hp - model E35ELCSM. I installed a complete water pump kit as per directions, still not pumping water. Does this motor have a thermostat that could possibly be closed or is it possible that the tube is plugged? Thanks for any help

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: New Water Pump - Still not pumping water

I have a 1984 Evinrude 35 hp - model E35ELCSM. I installed a complete water pump kit as per directions, still not pumping water. Does this motor have a thermostat that could possibly be closed or is it possible that the tube is plugged? Thanks for any help

It's possible that you have a blockage somwhere but first of all can you tell us exactly how and where you are running the motor and also how have you determined that it isnt pumping water?

aedrang

Recruit

Hello - I much appreciate your help.
Here is what I have done so far on my 1984 Evinrude - Model E35ELCSM - 35 hp.
In the past I have always put earmuffs with a garden hose with full pressure and started the motor prior to putting it in the water. It had always peed water out of the bottom of the motor.
Last year, when I tested it, it did not pee, so I assumed that the water pump impeller had deterioriated. I installed a new water pump kit including a new housing, impeller, all the various gaskets, o-rings, etc. as per the instructions. All appeared to go fine with the installation; however, I did have a little trouble hooking up the rubber hose to the copper line. I finally did get it lined up and secured.
Then I did what I normally do with the muffs and garden hose; however, it did not pee as it had before. I did not want to keep it running and get the engine hot so I only had it running about 2 or 3 minutes with no luck on it pumping water. I do have the intake fins in the proper position. I also cleaned out the hose from the pee hole to where it connects onto the engine with compressed air and it blew clean - no obstruction.
That's what I have done so far.

Al Drang

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer

Well it sounds like you've checked most of the simple things.
A couple of possibilities that come to mind are 1: The key for the impeller fell out or became displaced during install. 2: the metal tube that goes into the pump housing became displaced at the powerhead end. 3: there is a blockage in the powerhead. (Was the old impeller intact?)
Try removing the tell tale hose completely and see if water comes out of the fitting on the powerhead. I had one blocked with crud at this fitting once. If it still doesn't flow I'd pull the lower unit back off and put the garden hose directly on the metal tube at full power and see if it flows all the way through the motor. also check the impeller key since you have it apart.
Hopefully its an easy fix.

Haffiman

Commander

Pull down the gearcase and attach the hose directly to the water tube.
Slowly put on pressure.
Water should come almost immediately to the pee hose.
Increase pressure (above 20PSI), the thermostat should be pushed back and water flow out the exhaust.