replacing the transom I/O

mississippimx

Recruit
i have a 1996 crownline 182 bowrider. it has 500 hours on it. i bought it in 2008. recently it started leaking water through the transom. well its rotten. its at the local shop getting the motor pulled getting ready for a new transom. am i making a mistake by putting this kind of money into this boat? has anyone else had to replace a transom in their boat and it was back to perfect new conditions? any input is appreciated.. help me out.. im young and this is my first boat..thanks

86 century

Ensign
Re: replacing the transom I/O

Its not that hard just take your time.

If the transom is rotten then most likely the stringers are on there way out as well.

Yes it can be better than new its all about how you chose to do it.
In the factory time and material cost are what drives the quality you are only doing one boat so you can put the time and high quality wood and resins.

mississippimx

Recruit

thanks i hope this solves all my water leak problems. that was the only prob this boat has.. i think its worth 2,000 transom repair instead of a used 20k wake boat and this boat is paid for!!! i am learning the term "gotta pay to play"

tpenfield

Staff member

At this point you are trapped, because you could not realistically sell the boat in its current condition and a new(er) boat will cost even more. Welcome to boat ownership. Hopefully for the $2K, a good job will be done and the boat will last. Since the transom rotted, keep an eye on the bulkheads and stringers for signs of rot.

mississippimx

Recruit

yeah, i have to fix it to atleast sell it.. i would never try sell it as is and put the problem off on someone else. id hate for that to be done to me. im going to keep this boat and get my moneys worth before i upgrade to an v drive inboard boat

rickryder

Commander

Plenty of threads on here with instruction on how to rebuild a boat from bottom to top <------ well that's the way they rot anyway :D
Welcome!