1958 18hp carb high speed needle vibrates out

Hogie

Cadet
What do I need to do in order to get my high speed needle to stay put and not vibrate out while idling?.....The nut feels tight butd I am afraid to over-tighten it because two years ago I overtightened one when I installed new packing and I cracked the carburetor where it screws in. I had to order a used one.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1958 18hp carb high speed needle vibrates out

Put in new packing, 2 or 3, and tighten down the nut

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Each new BRP carb kit comes with new packing. If you're not rebuilding the carb, then just tweek the packing nuts in 1/8 - 1/4 turn. That usually is enough to tighten them up, so they don't vibrate out.

Hogie

Cadet

Thanks guys.
I'll put some packing in, (I always have an extra rebuild kit on hand...just in case). Hopefully it will go in without too much force like it did when I cracked the housing.

Solomon_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All,
Had the same problem and posted same question and got same answer. It did fix the problem!

But not knowing a lot I learned the following... (after crushing those ~1.00 felt packings on a couple carbs)
1) Assemble the needle, gland nut, and packing outside the carb. (Basically slide together in the order it reassembles.
2) Take the assembly to the carb and screw in the needle to basically all the way in.
3) then tighten gland nut to a decent tighteness.

Then unscrew needle to approximate desired location.

I am not sure if this is the "correct" method but I tell you I have not crushed a felt packing or had a problem with the needle rotating out while running.

This may be a no sh%^ type of thing but a lesson learned by me may save someone a few bucks.

Thanks,
Chris