Help with 3.0 engine/starter/flywheel PLEASE!!!

jeffyjeff

Seaman Apprentice
1993 Bayliner 1750
3.0L I/O

Long story short...

No spark at beginning of summer.
After lots of cranking find out safety teather is faulty-Fix and boat starts.

However, all the trouble shooting I did I got spark plug wires backwards-Lots of trouble shooting and cranking until I finally figured that out. So much cranking that I broke the starter. Got the new starter in and figured out the correct firing order and I'm back on the water. Then...after a weekend of boating go to start and starter just spins. Take starter out and the housing around the bendix is broke, look inside at the flywheel and a bunch of teeth are chewed up.

My questions...
1. Did all my cranking cause the flywheel to be screwed up and then kill my starters, or, maybe the first starter broke to pieces and metal chunks flopping around caused the flywheel and new starter to go bad.
2.How difficult is taking out the 3.0 and replaced the flywheel?
3.Any place on the net that has all the steps?
4.Once I have everything disconnected do you think a few friends could just move the motor forward enough to get the flywheel off so I wouldnt have to take the motor out?
5.Is this to many questions?

Thanks for any help!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help with 3.0 engine/starter/flywheel PLEASE!!!

you need the manual for it first
Remove outdrive,control cables, fuel line, wiring, 2 lags in the front, 2 bolts in the rear, lift up and out.
remove rear housing, coupler, flywheel, replace ring gear and re-assemble.
hydrolock or super advanced timing or wrong firing order might remove a few teeth

jeffyjeff

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Help with 3.0 engine/starter/flywheel PLEASE!!!

Thanks for the reply.

Anyway of knowing for sure about the hydrolock problem? I'm wanting to fix this but don't want to have it happen again.

Also, is there anything else I should do while I'm in there? Seals to replace or something? I do have a small leak coming from the intake manifold while it's running but the mechanic said since there isn't water in the oil it's no big deal.

Thanks again.