1973 johnson 65 hp.... Pee hole no where to be found

TampaNate77

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have 1973 Johnson 65 horse and I cannot seem to find the pee hole any where around the upper part of the motor. Is there even one? And if not where does the water come out, or how do I even know if the water is circulating right, or if the motor is running hot?

BonairII

Commander
Re: 1973 johnson 65 hp.... Pee hole no where to be found

There isn't a factory telltale(pee hole) on your motor. Water will come out at the prop and the 2 relief holes on the back of the leg of the motor(after motor warms up).

Do your controls have an overheat buzzer?

If your motor is new to you....replace the thermostat immediately. It's a cheap part, that can kill a motor if not functioning properly. Replace the impeller also.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You can install a tell-tale if you want, do a search and you will find several posts on it.

TampaNate77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There isn't a factory telltale(pee hole) on your motor. Water will come out at the prop and the 2 relief holes on the back of the leg of the motor(after motor warms up).

Do your controls have an overheat buzzer?

If your motor is new to you....replace the thermostat immediately. It's a cheap part, that can kill a motor if not functioning properly. Replace the impeller also.

I bought it without the controls... Im trying to find a control box with wire harness for it.

TampaNate77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can install a tell-tale if you want, do a search and you will find several posts on it.[/QUOT

There are 2 holes on the back of the mid-section. Is that where the water comes out?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

When in the water, water will spurt out of the exhaust ports, but not a solid stream.

TampaNate77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I want to start it up without the control box.... but I have the old wireness to the motor. Anyway I could start the motor with just the wire harness?

BonairII

Commander

Don't try to start it until you have checked the impeller and t-stat. Being impatient can cause big problems.

TampaNate77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How do I drop the lower unit on this motor to check the impeller?

TampaNate77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

does the powerhead have to come off to drop the lower unit on this motor?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

No, you do not have to remove the powerhead to drop the lower unit. Remove the 6 bolts and disconnect the shift linkage and it should drop down and expose the water pump.

TampaNate77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No, you do not have to remove the powerhead to drop the lower unit. Remove the 6 bolts and disconnect the shift linkage and it should drop down and expose the water pump.

Where is the shift linkage located at?

BonairII

Commander

Where is the shift linkage located at?

When you are physically lowering the LU, try NOT to spin the shift linkage rod. It is threaded and changing the shift shaft height will screw up the LU's ability to shift properly(not permanently...you'll just have to get it back to the correct height).

TampaNate77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I got my 65 running today.... But no water comes out of the ports at idle, water only comes out when i get it gas?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Are you running it on a hose or in the water, if on a hose it will not come out of the exhaust ports, just through the prop and the slotted ports above the cavation plate.

BonairII

Commander

You probably won't get water out of the ports unless the leg of the motor is in a trash can(with water level above the water pump) or in the lake.