Need to "slicken up" my bunks

oregoncruiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well my new to me boat (The Larson listed in my sig) is giving me issues loading up. If I get too deep, the bow settles down onto the winch post and looks good until I pull it out of the water, and the stern settles. Then the bow has lifted and is not settled down where it should be. So, I try and stay a little shallower, and I have to power load it pretty hard to get it into position. Even doing this, I have to winch/powerload at the same time. I've tried different depths, different winch post heights, different drop hitches, and all sorts of combinations of both. I still don't have it solved.

So... after doing some searches it looks like I have 2 reasonable options. Teflon strips attached to the bunks, or applying some sort of silicone spray to the bunks. So, I think I want to try applying liquid rollers or something similar to the from 2/3rds of my bunks.

Questions are, how often do you have to reapply? Does it pollute the water? Do I apply when the carpeted bunks are dry? And do I let the spray dry before dunking the trailer again? Will it leave marks on the boat, or damage the finish?

Thalasso

Commander
Re: Need to "slicken up" my bunks

Well my new to me boat (The Larson listed in my sig) is giving me issues loading up. If I get too deep, the bow settles down onto the winch post and looks good until I pull it out of the water, and the stern settles. Then the bow has lifted and is not settled down where it should be. So, I try and stay a little shallower, and I have to power load it pretty hard to get it into position. Even doing this, I have to winch/powerload at the same time. I've tried different depths, different winch post heights, different drop hitches, and all sorts of combinations of both. I still don't have it solved.

So... after doing some searches it looks like I have 2 reasonable options. Teflon strips attached to the bunks, or applying some sort of silicone spray to the bunks. So, I think I want to try applying liquid rollers or something similar to the from 2/3rds of my bunks.

Questions are, how often do you have to reapply? Does it pollute the water? Do I apply when the carpeted bunks are dry? And do I let the spray dry before dunking the trailer again? Will it leave marks on the boat, or damage the finish?

Look here.
http://www.surfixinc.com/

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I use silicone spray. Wet or dry. I own a slip so I don't launch and retrieve every time I boat. I guess I apply an average of once per month. If you trailer every time you boat, more often may be necessary. To spray the bunks for my 21' boat, I use about half a can. Works great. Makes a huge difference in effort required to pull boat the last couple feet up to bow stop. It's an idea I got from this forum.

Mi duckdown

Commander

I think Pics of the boat and trailer setup would help. If you have to power load and winch at the same time something is wrong.

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer

I had the same problem and there are a couple of things you might try first. My winch strap was originally pulling from the bottom of the drum and I changed it so that it was pulling from the top so that it had a little better angle pulling up to the bow stop and that helped a bit. The second thing is if you have a 2 speed winch, use low gear and crank it hard up against the stop, that made the biggest difference for me. It's kind of scary at first because it sounds like something is going to break but I have been doing it that way for several years now and the bow stays tight against the stop. You can always back the winch off a hair after you get up the ramp.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I only have a 20', but I've never had to power load. I back the trailer in and winch the same part of the bow to the bowstop every time and nothing moves as the stern settles. I've never had a boat that needed to be dragged across the bunks. If you have the trailer in the water deep enough to float the boat over it, what way is the bow moving as you pull out?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

I used silicon spray and it made a huge difference. I have launched and retrieved about a half dozen times since then, and it's still pretty slippery.

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

I've used the silicon spray also with good results. The issue may also be attributable to the conditions of your launch ramp. A ramp that is too steep (>10*) will promote a difficult retrieval. Do you encounter this at more than one ramp?

emoney

Commander

I'm agreeing with the "post some pics" response and more details about your ramp. Doesn't seem like the bunks should be causing that much drag as to create a loading issue. I mean, I know Silicone makes things "slicker", but if there's that much drag something else may be out of whack. Have you looked at similar boat/trailer combos and compared how yours is set up in relation to others? I've had trailers that P.O.'s have mispositioned either the winch post or just the arm itself. Move it a little and everything eases up.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

silicon bunk slicks work great, too. And a power winch completes the set-up.

oregoncruiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all of the thoughts folks. As far as the ramps go, it has happened at more than one, and although I have not measured grade they don't seem excessively steep.

With the boat pulled up to the bow stop, 2 things happen when I pull up out of the water. First the stern settles down, which leverages the bow up as the boat settles onto the bunks.

So let's talk about adjustment of the winch post and bow stop. In an effort to get more tongue weight I have been moving the winch post forward a couple inches at a time. I have the tongue weight UP to 7%. Yeah I said up. (When I got it I bet it was about 3%, and pulled horribly). at this point it pulls okay, and the stern is flush with the back of the bunks. Now... with the boat in this position, I've played with the bow stop height. I started by moving the bowstop up against the bow of the boat, and putting a little pressre on it. Does this sound reasonable? BTW, this loading issue did not change with the winch post movement, it has remained constant.

I do think the winch strap is spooled out from the bottom, so moving it to spool from the top will give it some lift, so I will definately look at doing that.

I am going out to do some chores right now, and will take some pics. Maybe you all will see something I am missing..

cribber

Lieutenant

Pictures will go a long way into figuring out what is going on with retrieving your boat. It could be a multitude of factors and only one causing you a problem and pictures help out.

oregoncruiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

photo1.JPGphoto3.JPG
Not great pics, but it's a start. What do you see that I'm not.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 0

fish hook

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had the same issue when loading from deeper ramps - It would look in the perfect position every time until I pulled the boat out - it would then settle back about an inch or two away from the bow stop. Get the boat on the trailer where you want it and simply make a small marker mark on the winch strap where it can be lined up every time. Back it in a little deeper and crank it up to the mark. When it settles once pulled out it will be right where you want it. I fought with mine a few times until I made this simple adjustment and now once I crank it to the mark it is always perfect. This eliminates loading from shallower situation and the boat should glide right on. As far as cost, I'm sure you can find a permanent marker laying around the house! Good luck

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

your pics are small (phone pics?) - can you take higher resolution pics from a camera?

I would also take a complete side pic of your trailer and boat.

On any of my trailers, it is common for me to have to put up to an extra half turn on the crank once I pull the boat completely out of the water to bring the bow against the roller or stop, and I have had both roller and bunk trailers.

your boat will be floating a bit with the trailer in the water - this is normal. when you pull the trailer out, it is now sitting only on the trailer. the trailer is not a rigid body, however a large flexible piece.

a few things that I recommend based on my experiences:
side guides - they are extremely helpful in keeping the boat centered, especially with a cross wind, or a deep ramp
marking the winch strap - put a permanent marker line on the strap so you know that you have it winched to the right location.

oregoncruiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Danforth, I know the pics suck. I'll be pulling it out of the shop tomorrow, and will take better pics with less clutter.

And good idea on marking the winch line, I'll give that a shot this weekend.

Thanks for the thoughts and input folks! I'll get better pics and more info and update post in a xcouple days.

oregoncruiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

larson boat 2.JPGlarson boat.jpg

Heres a couple more pics, maybe they'll be more helpful, IDK.

My update has 3 key points.

I carefully watched and studied the situation while loading and unloading on this trip. I found that the keel is bumping into a cross member while loading/unloading if you are a bit shallow. It is a forward cross member, and this should not happen. I think it was a poorly thought out trailer design. I plan to remedy this bvy installing a Keel roller which wil allow the boat to roll across this ponit instead of dragging. Once across this point the boat will not rest on the roller. I COULD cut out the cross member and re-design one that sits lower, or shim the bunks up1.5" to clear it. Ideas??

Second observation is that the bunks are old andthe carpet toward the front is worn pretty badly and could stand to be replaced. This shows me that this is/has been an issue for awhile. So... I will be building new bunks to install during one of my next outings, while the boat is in the water.

third observation is that I did in fact spray the bunks with silicone, and it worked nicely. I placed the trailer in the water at the same depth I've been using, and was able to easily load the boat properly (I was deep enough to aviod the problem in item 1 mentioned above). I easily maneuvered the boat and with a light throttle it positioned nicely.

Ready for some input!!!

oregoncruiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ohh!!! AND this whole operation placed the boat about 3" further forward on the trailer, and the boat did not rock back raising the bow off of the bow rest after pulling out of the water. Think I'm on the road to correcting things!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

looks like the front of your boat needs to raise up a bit. do you have adjustment in your bunks?

can always go thicker material when you redo your bunks too.

oregoncruiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thought I'd drop an update on my situation. Whle on a 3 day boat camping trip, I let the trailer bunks dry really good. Then I sprayed them down with a silicone spray. Nothing special, ust a Wal-Mart can of $3 silicone spray. It sat and dried for another day before i dunked it to load the boat. It loaded way easier!!

I have loaded/unloaded it 3 more times since. Today I just roped it on, and hand winched it the last 3 feet or so.....it was really easy!!
Anther note that I have read about here as well though, and need to share. The first time I launched the boat after I had applied the silicone was interesting. As usual, I backed the boat into the water, then gave my wife the wheel. I unhooked the boat, climbed in over the bow. As I was climbing in the boat started slipping off of the trailer. I was pretty sure we were deep enough to not get hurt, but it scared me!! I tried my best to keep my composure and tell her to QUICKLY back us in. We usually take our time, and I start it, before she floats it, so she was confused. She got out to clarify, and I just abruptly told her to back it in fast!! She did and all was well.

Bottom line, the silicone worked great, but be careful!!!!!Lol!!!