1989 Chris Craft Sea Hawk 254 restoration project

fscuttle

Seaman
The boat was purchased as a new leftover in 91 by my father. He bought it at a Marina on the Hudson River in NY. I did all the maintenance for him over the years and it was virtually trouble free until the summer of 98. Apparently one of the exhaust manifolds cracked and leaked water into at least one cylinder which became hydraulically locked.I think it was more likely a leaking riser gasket. My father had the boat towed back to his slip and it was a month or so before i could look at it and determine what had happened. I had the boat towed back from the NJ Shore to my home in Stony Point NY and put up on blocks in my yard. It basically sat there until the following summer and the engine was seized at that point. I removed the cylinder heads and poured oil on top of all the pistons and left it that way hoping to try and turn the engine a week or two later. In the meantime my father was diagnosed with cancer and I never got a chance to get back to it. The boat has since remained shrink wrapped on blocks in my yard {about 12 years}. I'm thinking my first step is to get a trailer so i can get under a chain hoist to pull the engine. I'm hoping that i can knock the pistons out and hone the cylinders and replace the rings. Other than that i figure i will have to replace the fuel lines and hoses.The fuel pump, rebuild the carb {Holley 850}, possibly some wiring and upholstery. I don't think the stringers should be rotted because it was pretty well protected from wetness. Also i believe there was approx 75 gallons of fuel in the tank that i will have to remove. So i guess my first question is are there any other likely problems that i might not be considering? What would be a good trailer for this boat and what are my chances of finding a good used one? I will be pulling it with a 2010 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1989 Chris Craft Sea Hawk 254 restoration project

I suspect you will find the engine needs far more than rings, fuel pump & clean carb. Fuel lines should be O.K.. I would confirm that there is no wood rot in the floor or transom before I start on the mechanicals.

As to a trailer you will need a dual axle with brakes. I recommend that you get disk brakes as drums rust quickly and are high maintenance. The 1500 should be fine.

fscuttle

Seaman

I suspect you will find the engine needs far more than rings, fuel pump & clean carb. Fuel lines should be O.K.. I would confirm that there is no wood rot in the floor or transom before I start on the mechanicals.

As to a trailer you will need a dual axle with brakes. I recommend that you get disk brakes as drums rust quickly and are high maintenance. The 1500 should be fine.

What's the best way to check for rot and is there specific spots on the transom to focus on?

series60

Chief Petty Officer

What's the best way to check for rot and is there specific spots on the transom to focus on?

I use an awl to poke around in the lower sections of the transom usually below the water line. Also check the engine mounts.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Fuel lines should be O.K..

A 23 year old, dry rotted, fuel line is not OK. The life expectancy of a fuel hose is less than 10 years. Given the catastrophic consequences of a leak, putting those hoses back into service is just asking for problems.

fscuttle

Seaman

Ok so i finally got a trailer. Had to go with brand new because used was almost impossible to find and i didnt want to pay $3000 for used when i can get brand new for $4000. Bought a venture roller trailer with disc brakes on both axles. Next step is to pull the engine. I have the outdrive off. So other than wiring and accessories is it just the 4 mounting bolts that have to come off? The entire bell housing assembly comes out with the motor correct?

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

No! it should just come out block and coupling. I think your responses will be allot better if this were in the I/O forum for drive and engine issues and the resto forum for hull and other related issues. Everyone loves pics and do help translate the issues better than words.