Fishing the Albemarle Sound in N.C.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Hey guys I was wondering a few things here. I am staying in the Albemarle Sound, right behind Kill Devil Hills, in Colington. I hear the flounder and striper are really biting in these parts. Anyways what I was wondering is that I hear it is brackish water, but mostly fresh due to all of the rivers that run into it. I have a 45lb. Minnkota transom mount trolling motor for fresh water that I would like to bring. If I stay there for a week do you think I have anything to worry about as far as saltwater damage? Should I rinse the motor out after use or just leave it home? I have a 4hp kicker.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Fishing the Albemarle Sound in N.C.

I'd leave it at home.

Is your trailer galvanized? If not, leave that at home too.

noworries79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had an old Bill Dance freshwater trolling motor on my rebuilt stratos. That was one tough motor. I usually fish the Pamlico Sound, just south of the Albemarle where it was mostly salt. I also fished it near the inlets as well. I finally replaced it with a saltwater minnkota, but it still worked fine. Bring it and make sure you rinse it well when you're done. Good luck on the fishing!

sutor623

Rear Admiral

I had an old Bill Dance freshwater trolling motor on my rebuilt stratos. That was one tough motor. I usually fish the Pamlico Sound, just south of the Albemarle where it was mostly salt. I also fished it near the inlets as well. I finally replaced it with a saltwater minnkota, but it still worked fine. Bring it and make sure you rinse it well when you're done. Good luck on the fishing!

Thanks for the input. The motor is a year old so Im leaning more towards not using it.....