OMC Engine Not Starting - No Spark from Coil

gvsu141

Cadet
I have an 1986 Four Winns with an OMC 5.0 Chevy. Has the petronix electronic ignitor in the distributor. The other day I was adjusting the carb to get the idle set properly. The boat was starting and running great except a small idle issue.

I turned the boat off, made an adjustment to the throttle linkage at the carb, then the boat would not start. Pulled the coil wire off, and found it had no spark from the coil.

• I tried grounding directly from the coil without the wire, still nothing.
  • Checked the voltage at the [+] side of the coil. Ranged from 4-7 volts voltage is the same at both coil terminals.
  • I tried using 2 other coils I had (one from the shelf, one borrowed from another boat) all 3 showed the same symptoms.

I then found that when I removed the 2 grey wires from the [-] side of the coil, the voltage at the [+] side jumped up to 11 volts. Next, I disconnected the grey tach wire to check if that was grounding somewhere, still no change. This now means the voltage drops down when connecting the grey wire from the ESA.

I tried bypassing and disconnecting the ESA several different ways, and still could not get spark.

It doesn't seem like this voltage drop should be there. Any Ideas on what might be the cause of my issue? Bad ESA? Bad Ignitor?

Thanks!

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: OMC Engine Not Starting - No Spark from Coil

[*]Checked the voltage at the [+] side of the coil. Ranged from 4-7 volts voltage

to properly check voltage to your coil, put the red meter lead on the coil +
put the black meter lead on the Battery negative, not the other post of the coil

If you have a fully charged battery and you get less than 8V there with key on , and less than 11.5 while cranking..start checking for bad wiring

never never never, check voltage across the coil + to - , that is meaningless

gvsu141

Cadet

to properly check voltage to your coil, put the red meter lead on the coil +
put the black meter lead on the Battery negative, not the other post of the coil

If you have a fully charged battery and you get less than 8V there with key on , and less than 11.5 while cranking..start checking for bad wiring

never never never, check voltage across the coil + to - , that is meaningless

Just to clarify: I checked the voltage at the [+] coil post by grounding my meter to the battery to get the low reading. I then checked the [-] coil post using the battery as a ground, and the volts matched.

Did you see later in the post where the volts jumped up to 11 after disconnecting the ESA from the [-] coil post?

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Do you have a set of points you can throw in real quick?

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

Just to clarify: I checked the voltage at the [+] coil post by grounding my meter to the battery to get the low reading.
ok, then the diagnosis was done right at that moment.
if you only have 4 to 7 volts, with red meter lead on coil + and black meter lead on batt neg., that's why you have no spark. The coil is probably fine, but you can take the purple/red wire off the coil and check it to see if the voltage is any different when it is not connected to the coil. it probably will not change.
Fix the wiring to get 9.5 to 11 volts there with the key on. could be a loose or corroded connection or a burnt out resistance wire (purple/red) or even a faulty ignition switch in the dash.
You can disconnect the purple/red wire at both ends and check its resistance - should be 1.5 to 3 ohms.

subcrx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

did you check to see if the rotor is spinning?

gvsu141

Cadet

ok, then the diagnosis was done right at that moment.
if you only have 4 to 7 volts, with red meter lead on coil + and black meter lead on batt neg., that's why you have no spark. The coil is probably fine, but you can take the purple/red wire off the coil and check it to see if the voltage is any different when it is not connected to the coil. it probably will not change.
Fix the wiring to get 9.5 to 11 volts there with the key on. could be a loose or corroded connection or a burnt out resistance wire (purple/red) or even a faulty ignition switch in the dash.
You can disconnect the purple/red wire at both ends and check its resistance - should be 1.5 to 3 ohms.

When I discnnect the purple wire from the coil, that wire has 11 volts. When connected to the coil it only has 4-7. When the ESA is disconneced from the coil, the purple wire again goes up to 11 volts, but still no spark.

gvsu141

Cadet

Do you have a set of points you can throw in real quick?

No, the ignitor was installed before I had the boat.

did you check to see if the rotor is spinning?

I did not check that, but now that I think about it when I held the coil wire with my bare hands checking for spark, I did feel a very weak "poke" but not as strong as it should be.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

When I discnnect the purple wire from the coil, that wire has 11 volts. When connected to the coil it only has 4-7. When the ESA is disconneced from the coil, the purple wire again goes up to 11 volts, but still no spark.

it sounds like that wire supplying the coil has really poor conductivity. and the bad connection could be anywhere back to the key switch.
you get proper voltage (11V), but as soon as you ask it to carry ANY serious amount of current - to run the coil and/or the ESA module, it craps out.

That is what you would typically see in a wire like that when only 2or 3 of the tiny little strands are conducting instead of the 50 or 60 copper strands.
It only takes 1 copper strand in tact to show the 11V on a modern digital multimeter.

but it seems unlikely that that issue would suddenly pop up after a throttle adjustment.

Also, when you CRANK the engine, all of that circuit is bypassed anyways (full 12V comes from the starter post crank terminal to the coil +).... so I'm a bit surprised the symptom isn't that it "will fire as long as the starter is cranking, but quit once the key is released"
or is that the case?

gvsu141

Cadet

but it seems unlikely that that issue would suddenly pop up after a throttle adjustment.

Also, when you CRANK the engine, all of that circuit is bypassed anyways (full 12V comes from the starter post crank terminal to the coil +).... so I'm a bit surprised the symptom isn't that it "will fire as long as the starter is cranking, but quit once the key is released"
or is that the case?

I tried adjusting the throttle back for the heck of it, and no change.

I also tried providing 12v to the coil [+] directly from the battery via jumper wire, with no sucess in getting spark. I can't remember if I checked the volt reading with it jumpered or not.

gvsu141

Cadet

so I'm a bit surprised the symptom isn't that it "will fire as long as the starter is cranking, but quit once the key is released"
or is that the case?

It doesn't fire at all, even when cranking the engine.

indybleck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Possibly a kill switch? Just wondering out loud

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The problem must be in the distributor. You said you took it "apart". Something in there is not right. Take a closer look.

I get 8.5 volts at my coil + while running. That is within spec. 7-9 is what the book calls for. 12v while cranking.