Do I need smart tabs?

JConley

Recruit
I have a 17' 2004 Glastron SX 175 with a 3.0L motor and the Volvo Penta SX sterndrive. I'm also running a 14.5 x 19 prop. I am happy with the way it gets up on a plane and I don't have any porpoising problems. My complaint is that it seems like too much of the boat is still in the water when running part throttle around 28mph or so. My trim seems to do very little to lift the bow while cruising. Only when I go WOT (38mph at 4400rpms) does it seem like the boat lifts out of the water all the way and that I have more authority with the tilt. Also, at WOT I can trim it up more to get up to 4800rpms but my mph stays at 38 (using a gps). Will trim tabs (smart tabs) help my boat ride better at partial throttle? How do I get more authority / control out of my tilt at "slower" cruising speeds (25-30mph)?

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
Re: Do I need smart tabs?

I don't believe tabs will help you at all, I think your at the limit of your motor rather then trim tabs getting you anything you will probably only make it worse with your motor. Typically tabs are a great way to make your boat perform better at all speeds but you have to be able to use the motor to overcome the added drag of the tabs when using them at slower speeds just like you want but I think in your situation you simply don't have enough motor to do this and they will be a waste of money. I know that the Trim Tab guy here on the site usually says that he doesn't recommend boats below a certain length and I think you are in that area, hopefully he will come by and chime in. I think your best bet is to play with the trim like you are and find the sweet spot as best you can, save the tabs for your next boat and get a bigger motor too!!

JConley

Recruit

I agree, I need a bigger boat and a bigger motor!!! If only the wife understood.

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a 17' 2004 Glastron SX 175 with a 3.0L motor and the Volvo Penta SX sterndrive. I'm also running a 14.5 x 19 prop. I am happy with the way it gets up on a plane and I don't have any porpoising problems. My complaint is that it seems like too much of the boat is still in the water when running part throttle around 28mph or so. My trim seems to do very little to lift the bow while cruising. Only when I go WOT (38mph at 4400rpms) does it seem like the boat lifts out of the water all the way and that I have more authority with the tilt. Also, at WOT I can trim it up more to get up to 4800rpms but my mph stays at 38 (using a gps). Will trim tabs (smart tabs) help my boat ride better at partial throttle? How do I get more authority / control out of my tilt at "slower" cruising speeds (25-30mph)?

Unless there is something about trim tabs that I don't understand, they will NEVER help lift the bow. Conversely, they help keep the bow lower when coming up on plane.

They work similar to the elevators on an airplane, in that they cause the rear end to move in the direction opposite to that in which they are operated. But on a boat, they can't work in an elevated position - only in a lowered position, so they can only lift the stern, which tends to hold the bow down.

Maclin

Admiral

I followed this for a few days and now tend to think they would help. Did you look on the NauticusInc website? Lots of information, and one of the selling points is helping a seemingly underpowered boat plane easier and maintain plane easier. There is a threshold I am sure where too little power available would render the tabs "powerless" to be able to perform the intended purpose. I think now though that your boat may be within the parameters where they could be effective.

Maclin

Admiral

Sorry, meant to include this in the last post... but, just Call them up and ask about your specific situation.