Tell-tall Or so Called Pee Hose

djrilo

Recruit
I Have What I Think Is A 1976 Johnson 70 Horse.. There Is No Tell-Tale ( That Stream Of Water Out The Bottom Of The Side Of Cowl Base).... It Looks As If There Was Never One on This Motor..Which To Me Is A Bad Idea... How Do U Tell When Your Impeller Is Going Bad..Hmmmm... Is There After Market Tell-Tales i Can Put On This Motor ? Or Maybe A Water Pressure Gauge.... I Have Looked All Over The Motor For A Tube, Anything To See If It Was Blocked Off By Someone Else.. But There Is Nothing.... Did Johnson Make Outboards With No Tell-Tails?? Thank You....

HappyOurs1

Cadet
Re: Tell-tall Or so Called Pee Hose

I have the 1974 70ESLR74M Model with the same issue.... No obvious Tell-Tail. With the muffs on there are 2 small holes on the gear case one above & 1 lower of the water input that water pee's out with just muffs on. So far I can tell that it is kinda working by letting it run a min till warm & watching the exhaust water pour out from above and behind the water intake, I've also noticed the water becomes warm if motor was used recently & run for more that 5 min. Also on mine more exhaust water with more rev's.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

I don't think the factory installed tell-tales until the middle 80's. If you run a search you will find several posts on how to install one on your engine.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

OMC motors did not have tell-tale hoses until around the 1980's. The "tell-tale" is the two exhaust relief holes on the backside of teh midsection, just below the powerhead. Water sprays out of them (when the boat is in the water---not reliable on muffs).

I say again, for the umpteenth time, you cannot test a water pump by running on muffs. The cooling system is being force fed by the garden hose. You could take the impeller completely out and the hose would still provide cooling water.

djrilo

Recruit

Thank u To All Whom Applied.... I Will Retro Fit A Tell Tail This Weekend Forsure... Few Dollars Spent Is Better, Then Overheating A Powerhead....Again Thanks You