'188 150 Mariner dying at idle, doesn't like loading

Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1988 Mariner 150 with a few nagging problems.

-Dies at idle; always requires fast idle lever up to keep running. VERY occasionally it will idle with the lever off, but will always eventually die.
-Usually dies when put in gear with not enough throttle.
-When going to take off, will sometimes bog down and refuse to load up, then dies. Restarting and immediately going back to take off always results in normal operation.
-Occasionally will simply refuse to start. It always requires to be choked and given some throttle to start, but on seemingly random occasions (particularly when first taking it out), will not turn over until it's been convinced for 10-20 minutes.

When up and running on plane it does just fine and experiences no issues, but I'm having a lot of trouble in the low RPM range. I'm not terribly familiar with outboard maintenance so I wanted to solicit some advice before tinkering with it. The fuel pump was just rebuilt, fuel filter replaced, and the fuel barb fitting from tank to motor replaced (was previously leaking).

Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: '188 150 Mariner dying at idle, doesn't like loading

Bump. Anyone?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: '188 150 Mariner dying at idle, doesn't like loading

Sounds like dirty or misadjusted carbs. It is probably time to disassemble, clean and rebuild with new gaskets and inlet needle and seat. Some of the carb floats are no longer available, so check availability before breaking them. A service manual is best to assist you.