Question on water pump service

twebb

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1986 90hp inline six mercury and i want to change the water pump impeller. Im not sure if i need to shift it in forward, neutral or reverse before i take the lower unit off. thanks for any and all help.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Question on water pump service

Different folks have different methods. The main thing is to ensure that the shifter splined shaft on the lower unit is aligned with the shift control (N-N or F-F). It doesn't matter which gear you use really. If you don't move either the shifter splined shaft or the control box lever during your teardown, and nothing in the teardown reinstallation requires it, you will be lined up.

Where the differences come to play is in reinstalling; the shifter shafts interconnect easily, but sometimes the drive shaft gets turned during the process and the splines don't line up with the powerhead. The LU goes together but can't finish the last 1 inch. Slow rotation of the flywheel if you use N, or the prop if you use F will allow you to complete the mate.

Ensure that your water tube is connected from the output of the water pump housing to the hole in the bottom of the block.....that connection is somewhat difficult to see as you are reinstalling the LU.

Mark

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

twebb, Put the motor neutral, before you remove the gearcase. It makes the gearcase easy to install and reduces the chance of messing up the location of the lower shift shaft, significantly.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Replace impeller, wearplate and gaskets on each side of wearplate. Inspect upper pump housing SS insert for scratches. Replace if necessary.

twebb

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the help. Great site