beach boat buggy

corzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys, just looking for some thoughts if anyone has any experience with beach boat trailers...
what i have is a 16' alumacraft boat with a 40 hp and 2 hp motor on the back.
my beach trailer has been altered for the 3rd time (went from a 14' to a 12' to now the 16' boat)
basically all it is, is a small trailer with 4 ATV wheels on home made hubs that ride on 1" pipe, which are welded to 2 runners that i have 2X6's as bunks. there is a 8 or so foot tounge welded in the middle at the front with a loop for my winch to attach to (right now to get the boat on and off i stand on that to secure the trailer from moving while i push or pull the boat...not at all ideal)
this year the water level is down and since the boat is much heavier than my last boats its quite the ordeal to get it on and off the trailer...the trailer is very short, only about 4' with 5' bunks...im thinking of buying 6 or 8, 3" casters and mounting them to either the bunks after trimming them down (would be well over the water line to add another 4" to the 2X6 bunks) or directly to the metal frame.
would using the casters put too much stress on the points where the boat sits on them, or would it be ok as long as i used more than just 2 per bunk, ie 3 or 4...
any thoughts would be great...my guess is that it will be very easy to get the boat off the trailer which is a pain right now as it will just roll right off with a push...im still thinking long and hard about how to get the boat back on, if i decide to go thru with the casters, then i will wait and see if i can pull the boat on easy without having to do 1 more large change to the trailer by adding a winch on a piece of frame attached to the front of it, like a normal road trailer just lighter duty...
this is a pic of the buggy with a 12' boat on it, the only change is the bays are now 2X6 instead of 2X4boatpic.jpg

thoughts or ideas would be so much appreciated by my back as it is now a very tender part of my body every time i take the boat out hahaha
thanks guys

fisherguy123

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: beach boat buggy

I had a hard time with friction on my bunks so I replaced the carpet with 3/8 thick strips of teflon screwed in place with countersunk SS screws.....now my boat takes very little effort to launch and retrieve

Attachments

• slidesa.jpg
    slidesa.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 0
  • slidesb.jpg
    slidesb.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 0

corzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: beach boat buggy

thats a real good idea, but im still thinking the wheels will be better (and cheaper)
thanks for the cool idea though (ps newfs are beauts!!)