Surging at WOT.....

evinrude40HP

Cadet
I have a 1985 Mercruiser 140hp. I just recentley had a $600 tune up on the engine, which included spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor and a couple of other misc stuff. The engine starts up fine. As soon as I try to get up to 4200rpm it starts to surg and hesitate. I keep it under 2000rpm it runs fine. I need help. Thank you.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Surging at WOT.....

I have a 1985 Mercruiser 140hp. I just recentley had a $600 tune up on the engine, which included spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor and a couple of other misc stuff. The engine starts up fine. As soon as I try to get up to 4200rpm it starts to surg and hesitate. I keep it under 2000rpm it runs fine. I need help. Thank you.

Ayuh,... My guess is ya got Bad gas, or water in yer fuel...

evinrude40HP

Cadet

Ok... So I took off both filters, they were both dirty. Im gonna wait till those come in. Is their a screen or filter on the gas line that goes into the tank?

NHGuy

Captain

No but if you want to be proactive you can pump the fuel out through a filter, maybe filter it a couple of times if the gas is really loaded with stuff. You really do need clean gas to get good behavior.
If you can get the tank empty remove the sending unit and do a visual check inside there.
Also since your filters were that bad you'd also b smart to check the anti siphon valve for debris. It's right at the tank outlet.

evinrude40HP

Cadet

No but if you want to be proactive you can pump the fuel out through a filter, maybe filter it a couple of times if the gas is really loaded with stuff. You really do need clean gas to get good behavior.
If you can get the tank empty remove the sending unit and do a visual check inside there.
Also since your filters were that bad you'd also b smart to check the anti siphon valve for debris. It's right at the tank outlet.

Thanks I will try that. I already completely got rid of the antisiphon valve and replaced it with a regular barb.

evinrude40HP

Cadet

Thanks I will try that. I already completely got rid of the antisiphon valve and replaced it with a regular barb.