Check engine light warning-Noob to boating

Danny-javelin

Recruit
Hi I have recently bought a javelin fish and ski with a Johnson 150hp outboard (outboard is a 1996 model j150eleue) the RPM gauge has four warning lights that come on when the ignition is turned on but go off after a second or so. *I assume this is a gauge test. *

Today the check engine light started coming on, and sounded a loud alarm sound for about 10 seconds, after the alarm the check engine light would remain on for a minute or two and then the light would go out. *After a few minutes, the whole thing would start again. *The two oil warning lights and hot warning lights on the gauge do not come on. *

The engine seems to run well, water is discharging from the coolant system fine and there is no sputtering or engine RPM drops either while running or at idle. *Engine starts well and has never stalled. *The boat has a fresh full tank of premium fuel and oil levels are full as well. *

Any idea what might be wrong? Thank in advance.

Haffiman

Commander
Re: Check engine light warning-Noob to boating

If this happens at full throttle and not idle, check your tank ventilation, anti siphon valve on tank top and other places that might restrict fuel. If happening at any rpm at random, check for overcharging of batter and a possible defect instrument.

Danny-javelin

Recruit
Re: Check engine light warning-Noob to boating

Thanks for the response. I'll check your suggestion.

It doesn't seem to matter what the engine speed is as the check engine light has come on at idle and at cruising speed. Doesn't seem to come on any more frequently in one situation or the other.

Danny-javelin

Recruit
Re: Check engine light warning hot engine-Noob to boating

Hi there,

I took the boat out this weekend, no check engine light issues that were present last weekend but now I got a hot engine warning light and alarm. This has never happened before either. The engine was running for 10 minutes or so and we were in clear open water approx 10 ft deep with no weeds or anything that could clog the water intake. As far as I could tell the water jet was running although once the alarm went off I immediately shut the engine off and did not check for the water jet at that time. Sat and fished for about half hour or so to let the engine cool, started the outboard and made a beeline back to shore and confirmed that the water jet was working. Trip back was shorter than going out as I started back with the trolling motor while fishing and the way back was with the wind. No warning lights appeared going back.
As usual, the engine started without issue and the engine sounds smooth with no sputtering or hesitating...

Any idea what caused this hot engine warning? Could the two issues (check engine warning and hot engine warning)be related? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

hidef

Lieutenant

The check engine light is for fuel restriction. The temp light is for an overheat which can be caused by a sticking thermostat or a bad water pump impeller. Were you idling when the alarm sounded? A damaged impeller will not flow enough water at idle to keep the engine cool but the tell tale will still show water flow. At full throttle it will generate enough pressure to keep the engine cool. I would start with the water pump since you don't know when it was last replaced. You can also use an infra red thermometer to verify that the engine is overheating when the alarm sounds.

Danny-javelin

Recruit

Thanks for the response, we were moving along at about 15 or 20 Kph when the alarm sounded. I have an infra red thermometer, I will use that as suggested to see what the engine temp is. Is there a best spot to take a reading? I assume you would be reading it from the engine block. What temperature should it be operating at and at what temperature would it be too hot?
This fuel restriction from last weekend (check engine light) and the hot warning this weekend have me thinking that perhaps the 2 stroke oil injection isn't working properly. The engine isn't sputtering as I would expect with an obstructed fuel line, it runs and idles smoothly, but if the oil was not flowing smoothly could that cause the check engine light to come on last weekend and cause the hot warning this weekend? How do you know the oil injection system is working properly?

Haffiman

Commander

It might even be an instrument failure. If an original System Check from 96 - most likely!